• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Potential good farming tool.....!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LandShark

Super Shark Moderator
According to XBits labs' article, Woodcrest will be CHEAP (in form of Xeon/Dually speaking)!!
Intel Woodcrest processors will feature 1066MHz or 1333MHz processor system bus (PSB) depending on the model and will also have thermal design power (TDP) of 80W. The new chips will have two execution cores and will be made using 65nm process technology. The initial lineup will include models 5110, 5120, 5130, 5140, 5150 and 5160 that will operate at 1.60GHz, 1.86GHz, 2.00GHz, 2.33GHz, 2.67GHz and 3.00GHz, respectively. The chips will feature 4MB unified L2 cache, 1066 or 1333MHz PSB and will have TDP of 80W or below.

Intel Woodcrest processors promise to feature enhanced performance and moderate power consumption, two peculiarities that are expected to increase demand for the new Xeon central processing units and put a lot of pressure onto AMD Opteron processors, which have been gaining popularity in the most recent quarters. Besides, Woodcrest chips will feature rather aggressive pricing: the top-of-the-range model 5160 will be priced at $851, while the 5110 will cost $230 in 1000-unit quantities. The remaining 5120, 5130, 5140, 5150 models will be quoted at $700, $470, $330 and 270, respectively.
the 5120(1.86ghz)/5130(2.0ghz) for just $270/$330 sounds VERY tempting for me to go back to dually rig again... (I used to have 2 dual XP just for seti) imagine running 4 clients (most likely NO quadQMDs tho!!) for just 1 rig/layer while still saving space/heat/power and also producing some very decent ppd!! what more could you ask for for a farming machine!!! :drool:

as long as dually board for the Woodcrest isn't too much and does provide some sorta o/c'ablitiy, put me down for 2 rigs please!!! ;) :santa:

(p.s. my ppd will go downward from now on as I'll be making room for Conroe, selling out my farm. but again, "I'll be baaaaccck.... with an even BIGGER gun!!" :D

oh, plus the best thing is, TDW is ONLY 65W (Intel downward the TDW from 80W to 65W on Woodcrest due to the latest stepping is sooo good)!!! really a true power/heat/space saving folder IMHO!!

by my caculation, since a Woodcrest should be slight faster than Conroe, and Conroe is about 400-600mhz faster clock for clock compare to Yonah (depends on application), and a Yonah @ around 3ghz should be able to produce about the same ppd as a 4ghz Presler.

therefore, a Woodcrest @ (just slightly o/c'ed if possible) 2.4ghz = Conroe @ (approx. due to higher FSB) 2.45-2.5ghz = Yonah @ 2.9-3.1ghz = Presler @ 4-4.2+ghz!! soooo, a SINGLE Woodcrest at ONLY 2.4ghz should be able to produce roughly the same ppd as a 4+ghz Presler while cut the power bill to 1/2! now imagine what a DUAL Woodcrest rig clocked higher than 2.4ghz (they have stock clock up to 3ghz!) could do for us folder!!!! :eek: :eek:

just a month from now...... :drool:

I know! The power savings will be insane! Check out some of my various machines I've hooked up to a Kill A Watt meter here. Looks like it's time to get rid of all the Athlon MPs, A64 X2s, P4 Northies, and Xeons I've got sucking juice around here! Probably keep one of each for "nostalgia" sake. ;)

Macaholic said:
I know! The power savings will be insane! Check out some of my various machines I've hooked up to a Kill A Watt meter here. Looks like it's time to get rid of all the Athlon MPs, A64 X2s, P4 Northies, and Xeons I've got sucking juice around here! Probably keep one of each for "nostalgia" sake. ;)
with that many rigssss you have w/in your house, I bet by switching to Core2 architecture, the $$ that you save on the power bill will be able for you to build another new folder every two months!!! :cool:

I belive that Woodcrest also gets quad FSB correct? Not quad pumped but actual quad FSB (plus quad pumped).

Of course this is all speculation at this point in time, but I see a chance to do some cheap overclocking on them simialr to what the laptop overclockers are doing with 400 fsb Dothans in Sonoma class laptops by a pinmodding for a higher fsb. Buy the cheap 1066 fsb Woodcrest then pinmod it for 1333 Mhz fsb. I imagine it will have to be done on the mobo though, since it's an LGA socket design. But that would get you some decent overclocking even with a mobo that doesn't support fsb adjustments.

muddocktor said:
Of course this is all speculation at this point in time, but I see a chance to do some cheap overclocking on them simialr to what the laptop overclockers are doing with 400 fsb Dothans in Sonoma class laptops by a pinmodding for a higher fsb. Buy the cheap 1066 fsb Woodcrest then pinmod it for 1333 Mhz fsb. I imagine it will have to be done on the mobo though, since it's an LGA socket design. But that would get you some decent overclocking even with a mobo that doesn't support fsb adjustments.
yeah, that's what I'm hoping for (as a backup plan) that someone will figure out the pin so we can pinmod it to 1333 just like the Dothan did IF we don't have a o/c'able mobo.....

either way, a Woodcrest dually gotta be kick some major a$$ in terms of ppd from a single machine, and surely won't dry the wallet from the power bill!!

now all I'll need is Asus hand me some o/c'able dually board, well, make it "at least" 2 boards please!! :D

p.s. it will not have quad FSB just like Conroe only quad-pump.

Yeah, I would love to replace my old Asus dually with a nice, points-crushing Woodcrest setup myself. Double the crunching power and cut the power draw by at lest a third. :D

muddocktor said:
Yeah I can't see blowing $1k to save a couple of C notes over the life of the system. However when I do eventually upgrade, I'll be getting the best bang for the buck most efficient PPD/Wattage rig I can afford. It's gotta do all the other things I do too.

OTOH if I build a farm it will have to be both cheap and green. We should be able to get lots of cheap core duos once people move over to the likes of Memron and Woodcrest.

now somebody please tell me this isn't gonna be a killer folder so I can have some good night sleep this coming month.... :eek:

from Inquirer
Basically, a 3GHz Woodcrest chip gives you 3 billion x 4 FP ops x 2 cores per second, or 24 GFLOPS theoretical peak (Rpeak number in Linpack) per socket in 64-bit precision.

So, two chips on a typical workstation or server board give you 48 GFLOPS Rpeak - almost as good as a quad-chip Montecito, or 50% better than dual-chip (four cores total) POWER5+.

With the rumoured improvements, Woodcrest is hitting 80% efficiency in Linpack, i.e. its measurable Rmax rate of execution will be four-fifths of theoretical peak, or over 38 GFLOPs in this case.

Now, the 2.8GHz dual-core Opteron grade, expected to be the one greeting Woodcrest, has some 88% efficiency per socket, but the Rpeak per clock is half. So, it is 2.8 billion x 2 FP ops x 2 cores per second, or 11.2 GFLOPs Rpeak per socket. For two-socket Opteron, the Rpeak then would be 22.4 GFLOPs, and Rmax some 19.8 GFLOPs - half that of Woodcrest two socket setup! Wow, AMD should have had K8L now, not in a year's time.

We all know that Itanic is darn great at least in Linpack, with over 90% efficiency in some cases - but its clock is nearly half that of Woodcrest, with the same peak FP rate per cycle anyway. So, for a dual-core 1.6GHz Montecito, we have 1.6 billion x 4 FP ops x 2 cores per second, or 12.8 GFLOPs Rpeak per socket. Times 0.9 for Rmax, we have 11.5 GFLOPs Rmax per socket, or roughly 23 GFLOPs Rmax per two-socket board.

And 2.2GHz Power5+? Let's say 77% efficiency in this case. Dual-core chip too, so 2.2 billion x 4 FP ops x 2 cores per second, or 17.6 GFLOPs Rpeak, and 13.5 GFLOPs Rmax per socket, or 27 GFLOPs per two-socket board.

In summary? Woodcrest will, socket for socket, outperform all other CPUs in the market, X86 or RISC or EPIC - when it comes to the TOP500 battle and its Linpack benchmark.

it might not means 100% to the real world apps., but boy.... :drool:

Hmmm... A dual socket dual core Woodcrest for my main rig sounds like it might be a lot of fun to have purring next to me while it's kickin' A on WUs and batch encoding various AV files while I watch a DVD.

Then I can use the cast off core duo rigs for a nice multi layer farm.

LandShark said:
now somebody please tell me this isn't gonna be a killer folder so I can have some good night sleep this coming month.... :eek:

from Inquirer

it might not means 100% to the real world apps., but boy.... :drool:

I'm glad that I don't have any immediate plans for upgrading my farm 'til the Fall...'cause it'll take to at least then to consider the best path to follow. I had planned to jump on a dual AMD core/dual cpu setup, but this article leaves me with some thinking to do!

:eek:

So what processor is best now I know it used to be AMD chips gave you allot more ppd over intel systems. At that time all the big guns used AMD for there farms. Is Intels processors doing the same work as AMD processors now? Or is it just a matter of ppd to cost ratio people are looking at more now?

robertm said:
So what processor is best now I know it used to be AMD chips gave you allot more ppd over intel systems. At that time all the big guns used AMD for there farms. Is Intels processors doing the same work as AMD processors now? Or is it just a matter of ppd to cost ratio people are looking at more now?
right now, I'd say they are pretty even match. it actually used to be Intel who dominated the ppd or choice of folder due to it's ability to fold QMD.

robertm said:

I am pretty happy with my DC presslers and smithfields EXCEPT for the power and heat factors.
Despte their high heat and power, they are still better than 2+ p4's since they will outproduce them at less total power/heat.

Right now on Dgromacs (80+% points boost due to sse2 and stanford benching without sse2), my best 930 is getting around 950-1000 ppd.
On the slowest smithfield it gets about 600 ppd - on the other 2 they are getting 800 ppd. Ingoring the low one which is an ES, they range from 800-1000.

If/when QMD's come back, my intel DC's will be in the 850+-1100+ ppd range.

On regular Gromacs and gbgromacs, they are much lower 300-400 ppd? and with a steady diet of these i expect the amd DC's would do better. I don't have any AMD's to compare with on the farm.

Not sure yet how conroes/woodcrests will compare with amd's and presslers across the WU types, but like others, am expecting (hoping?) for great things, especially with the reduced power/heat.

Certainly comparisons like Mac's kill a watt will play in how quickly i adopt vs capital costs and ability to OC, and power/heat under OC. I like to do most of my farm upgrades after initial prices start coming down (assuming all distribution channels get good supply).

Despite my lack of AMD experience, i would still go with DC regardless of intel or AMD.

Last edited:
Back