• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need help picking out AMD setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gakkuken

hi guys;

it's been a while since i'm thinking about getting an AMD setup, the last time i had amd was when XP barton was popular.

i'm sure there are a lot of people like me who is stuck in similar situation as me right now. here are some stuff i need, and i think amd can help me get by, as i need the board to have:

- support dual channel DDR
- at least one pci-express x16 slot, 2 would be great.
- good pricing
- the main goal is to have run 4x sata2 hdd on a raid 5 controller as a file server

with that setup, which type of AMD 64 process is fair pricing and have good potential? socket 754? 939?

ATI Radeon XPRESS 200 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard any good?

pretty lost... hehe let me know what you guys think, thanks!

Last edited:
-dual channel ddr is found on S939 CPU's, and accompanying motheboards
-for SLI? or just to have dual video cards for independent output?

purpose of this computer? At this point, I'd recommend a wait for AM2 release.

Know Nuttin said:
-dual channel ddr is found on S939 CPU's, and accompanying motheboards
-for SLI? or just to have dual video cards for independent output?

purpose of this computer? At this point, I'd recommend a wait for AM2 release.

thanks so much for the reply, the am2 will be on new socket again right?

like back in the days, the mobile xp barton started at 133fsb, and w/ good memory to pair them up and run them at 200fsb as easy oc. is there such things w/ the 939?

about the mobo, are there any onboard video chipset worth to look at? ati express 200 or geforce6100 something

thanks!

well, right now i would say an opteron 165 if dual core, or 146 if single core. amd2 mobos will be out in june, so if you want to wait you can.

AM2 will be a new socket with DDR2 support, still dual channel.

As for motherboard, since AM2 is not officially released, there's no real good info I can provide on that type of board.

if i want something cheap and still able to use the ddr dual channel, then i'm pretty much need to stay with socket 939 correct?

what will be the lowest price socket 939 cpu you guys will recommand?

Well it depends and do you overclock? Dual core? single core?
I know you said this will be a file server but will you be doing other things on the same computer?

single core:
ill recommend a 3200+ as a cheap single core at stock/ minor oc
opteron 144 would be better if you overclock

dual core:
3800+ X2 at stock if you dont oc / minor oc
opteron 165 if you overclock

-edit-
if you do oc, the results will vary depending on what kind of motherboard you will use

Back