• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good God what have I done wrong?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

Ok so I'm reading the http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=391768 on how to overclock. I've printed it out so that I coudl read it while running this system. As of right now I can't really get ANY overclock out of it. Hopefully you guys can tell me why. Here is what I have

Opteron 165
PQI 4000+ Turbo memory
DFI Ultra-D Motherboard
OCZ Powerstream 520watt PSU

I started with step one. By using the little clockgen program written for this motherboard i was able to get it to hit 220mhz using the 5 multiplyer. Which seemed kinda low to me.

I've then tried to up the CPU and memory and neither of them will even run at 220mhz. The CPU on this board has a multiplier of 9x. What am I not doing?

I played with the voltages on the memory a little. I went up to 3v from the standard 2.6 as I had found another guy did in an article he wrote. At 220mhz it locked up.

In his guide he managed to get his HTT=235x5, FSB=321, Mem=265, and CPU272x10=2720. He says he's using the DFI Ultra-D but mine doesn't have a 10x multiplier. Just a 9 and below. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to flash the bios or something? Are there voltages I need to adjust to get this board to work better. Right now I'm stuck at stock.

Can anyone with the same setup help me out by posting what they've done? I'd greatly appreciate it.
Duck

update

Ok after playing around with it some I've done the following.

Since my HTTmax is 220x5=1100mhz I decided to drop the multiplier to 4x.
The system is now running at 2475mhz cpu, 275htt, and 206 memory. However I tried to play BF2 and it crashed.

Now i"m at 260x4 HTT, proc 2340,195on the mem.

Last edited:
I contacted the guy I had bought the chip and mem from and he said this

293MHZ, 1.85v and 333MHZ memory speed. The fact that the Opteron has an on-die memory controller means when dropping to 333MHZ or 266MHZ you don't sacrifice the speed of the memory.

So if he's running the same memory I have in this board around 240mhz then why am I stuck here at this 195mhz?

im guessing it's your board - he prolly had a better oc'ing board than u

and you do realize that for DDR memory you double the speed(so 200mhz would be 400mhz mem speed)
so your 195 is actually faster than 333(195x2 is 390mhz)

Back