• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dhcp and vpn's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fluxburn

I read up on both on wikipedia, but it was too technical. I have a rough idea of what a vpn is, but not dhcp. I heard you can set up a dhcp server to have a more secure network. I run windows xp sp2. I just want to know the benefits and purpose of both networks. I eventually want to integrate my two networks, as my laptop runs dsl and the main rig runs cable.

Last edited:
DHCP is not the same as VPN.

DHCP is a way for a computer to receive a network address (don't confuse my use of "network address" with "MAC address") and the related information (IP, subnet, gateway, dns servers) automatically from a server which would hand out this information to any PC that asks for it.

VPN is for creating a secure connection to another network from a public network (most common). Most times, this is used for business. For example, you logging into your work server from home. You are using a public network (Internet) to connect to a private network (your work).

DHCP actually makes your network less secure. Anyone who manages to join your domain or connect to a router configured as a DHCP server will have access to your network. Organizations that are very tight on security will most likely use static IP addresses on thier networks.

Well one could use DHCP still and have less issues if they set the server to only hand out addresses to specific MAC addresses. This is a very common way of doing secure dhcp

TempliNocturnus said:
DHCP actually makes your network less secure. Anyone who manages to join your domain or connect to a router configured as a DHCP server will have access to your network. Organizations that are very tight on security will most likely use static IP addresses on thier networks.

This is why you only set it to server as many ips as you need, and even in a static mode i am sure it could be easy to find out what IP's a dhcp server is serving out anyways if someone got into your network anwyays :d

Well because I use the upload bandwidth of both and it gives me a decent upload capability, while not paying for a t1 line yet. Also it is in case one goes down, that I will always have the internet. Also it is because I can have two. If it makes you feel inferior or jealous, then that just means you want two. I knew a guy who had 3 t3 lines because he couldn't have his system go down. Sometimes 2 seperate isp's would fail, thus the need for 3.

Back