• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First ever build not working at all..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

maddog39

Hello all,

Last week I built my very first rig that I was planning to sell. So, okay, I put it all together and I try to turn it on but nothing happens, I figure the PSU was a DOA which it turned out to be. A week later I finally decide to go out to the store and get a new PSU at radio shack. I bring it home and it works perfectly. Then I plug in a monitor for the first time and I turn on the power with my Linspire Five-0 CNR Edition CD in the CD drive and it appeared like it was reading from the CD but I dont see a darn thing on the screen, no BIOS, nothing. So I figure that the video card went, took the one out of my other computer that was working, put it in, still nothing. So now I'm thinking that the motherboard is DOA but I dont know how half my component suddenly dont work. So now I have to RMA everything and that wil be a real darn pain. If someone could tell me if they know what might be the problem or got some advice please share with me. Here are the specs of the comp.

Thermaltake Purepower 1.3 400W
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2Ghz
4GB SuperTalent PC3200 RAM
2X 300GB Western Digital ATA133 Hard Drives
CD-R/RW Drive
Dual Later DVD+-R/RW Drive
ATi Radeon 9600XT w/ 128MB DDR VRAM

What do you guys think is wrong here?

Thanks!
-maddog39 :D

well I'm not personally a fan of Thermaltake PSUs, they aren't the best quality but, I would try to test each component one by one to see if something is bad. Its very likely its just he motherboard. Unoverclocked this system should use about 230W so that should be taxing the system too much

Well I have no other socket 939 PCs, I just have a LGA775 and a Socket 754 for my Sempron. I know the video card and sound cards work and the CD drives seem like they are trying to work with there intergrated boot system but I cant tell if its the CPU or the mobo thats dead.

maddog39 said:
Hello all,

Last week I built my very first rig that I was planning to sell. So, okay, I put it all together and I try to turn it on but nothing happens, I figure the PSU was a DOA which it turned out to be. A week later I finally decide to go out to the store and get a new PSU at radio shack. I bring it home and it works perfectly. Then I plug in a monitor for the first time and I turn on the power with my Linspire Five-0 CNR Edition CD in the CD drive and it appeared like it was reading from the CD but I dont see a darn thing on the screen, no BIOS, nothing. So I figure that the video card went, took the one out of my other computer that was working, put it in, still nothing. So now I'm thinking that the motherboard is DOA but I dont know how half my component suddenly dont work. So now I have to RMA everything and that wil be a real darn pain. If someone could tell me if they know what might be the problem or got some advice please share with me. Here are the specs of the comp.

Thermaltake Purepower 1.3 400W
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2Ghz
4GB SuperTalent PC3200 RAM
2X 300GB Western Digital ATA133 Hard Drives
CD-R/RW Drive
Dual Later DVD+-R/RW Drive
ATi Radeon 9600XT w/ 128MB DDR VRAM

What do you guys think is wrong here?

Thanks!
-maddog39 :D

I have a feeling it was that faulty PSU you had

a PSU can kill everything in a syetm, That might be what happened to you.(but with the motherboard, not the whole thing) what PSU was it?

if you hear a series of beeps wehn you turn it on that will tell you what the problem is - look at the beep guide sticky

No no beeps, absolutely nothing but the fans running and the CD drives attempting to boot something but the mobo doesnt respond. The PSU that came with the case was an NZXT 400W. I geuss I can just RMA all the parts back to the company I bought them from and ask for replacements. This really blows and is going to takes several weeks and dealing with support. :( Okay, well does anyone have any other advice, cuz to me it looks like everything just got fried by the PSU.

Try disconnecting all drives and removing all but one stick of ram. Also, remove all cards except the video. Try to boot. If it boots, then something you disconnected was bad. Put things back one at a time to identify.

If no boot, are there beeps? If no beeps, remove all ram and try to boot. Any beeps? If yes, the ram stick bad. If no beeps, then remove video card and try again. If beeps, then video bad. If no beeps, then remove cpu. Any beeps? If beeps, then cpu bad. If no beeps, then either the psu or mobo is bad. RMA one at a time, or try psu in another computer to isolate.

This can occur if you were too rough with the processor when putting the heatsink on or gotten a faulty processor.

No video signal at all can be a sign of a bad cpu or memory, or possibly cpu or memory that is not seated properly. My advice is tear the whole rig apart, and re-assemble. Make sure that your cpu and memory are properly seated. Make sure that all power cables are properly connected (for instance if your video card requires external power do not forget about that!).

For now run one stick of memory only and the cpu and your video card and nothing else. You can boot without drives etc, you just can't do much :) If the system boots start adding additional devices one at a time.

It is certainly possible that you have another bad component, but there are alot of other potential causes for this to happen so just methodically work your way through it. A simple cable connected improperly can cause all kinds of problems :bang head

Sounds like a combo of the Mobo not working properly or the PSU blowing something.

FYI: In the future, its a really good idea to take new PSU's and plug them in without being near the computer or in it yet. Plus it in, see if the fans do a little "jerk". Generally, if the fans kind of flinch, than everything should be all good. Also think of the PSU as the gas you put in your car. If you are gonna run a real sports car of a computer...buy the biggest and best quality you can get. This is one of those places you learn not to get cheap on. Just giving a little FYI, not trying to throw salt on a already open wound.

I hope all works out. Just post a lot of notes and the guru's that inhabit this place will do all we can to help.

Well i got it working. I took everything out of it/unplugged it that was not crucial and I took the 288W PSU from my eMachines and plugged it in. Then took the 400W and used it in my new PC. Then it started up first shot no problem. No RMAing needed. No clue what happened lol.

Back