• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Does this sound weird to anyone else? (dead drive)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MasterCraft

So friends came over for a lan, we get setup and I had just finished reinstalling my bench software (sandra, few others)

I restarted, now for some background, I've been having some stability issues, I assumed until yesterday it was something dealing with the overclock.

After rebooting, completely stock timings, hits the windows screen, then normally where I would get a login prompt, nothing, it froze.

after several reboots, same thing, so I popped in the windows disk and did a system restore, which worked fine, same thing, froze at windows login post

Once again, stuck in the windows disk, and rewrote the boot portion from windows recovery, same thing, still freezing.

On the final reboot, I noticed S.M.A.R.T. - BAD on my 74 gig raptor (my main)

so of course at this time I'm shaking my head.

reinstalling and rewriting files when not in windows worked fine, but when I go to post it locks up, I know reading bad means the drive is dying, but dying directly after a reboot? anything seem odd here?

Now I get to go through to fun stuff of RMA'ing through western digital, luckily I had a cheapy 80gb to work off of until I order a new 150 rap :drool:

MasterCraft said:
So friends came over for a lan, we get setup and I had just finished reinstalling my bench software (sandra, few others)

I restarted, now for some background, I've been having some stability issues, I assumed until yesterday it was something dealing with the overclock.

After rebooting, completely stock timings, hits the windows screen, then normally where I would get a login prompt, nothing, it froze.

after several reboots, same thing, so I popped in the windows disk and did a system restore, which worked fine, same thing, froze at windows login post

Once again, stuck in the windows disk, and rewrote the boot portion from windows recovery, same thing, still freezing.

On the final reboot, I noticed S.M.A.R.T. - BAD on my 74 gig raptor (my main)

so of course at this time I'm shaking my head.

reinstalling and rewriting files when not in windows worked fine, but when I go to post it locks up, I know reading bad means the drive is dying, but dying directly after a reboot? anything seem odd here?

Now I get to go through to fun stuff of RMA'ing through western digital, luckily I had a cheapy 80gb to work off of until I order a new 150 rap :drool:
Hmmm, can you try disconnecting the Raptor (not sure if it's necessary) and booting from a Linux LiveCD to see if you experience any instability? If that seems to work okay, then it probably is your Raptor. The good news is that my RMAs through Western Digital have always been very pleasant experiences. They will promptly cross-ship you a replacement drive without any hassle, and you can do it all from their website.

A drive on one of my folding rigs just died yesterday in kinda the same way after I rebooted, It was quite weird. good thing it was only a cheap 10Gb ebay drive.

weird events again, I was able to copy the entire contents of the drive over, AND FORMAT IT.

I reinstalled windows on it, and it sitll crashes at windows post

I'm befuddled. :shrug:

MasterCraft said:
weird events again, I was able to copy the entire contents of the drive over, AND FORMAT IT.

I reinstalled windows on it, and it sitll crashes at windows post
Did you do a full format or run checkdisk? Maybe there are some bad blocks/sectors on the disk. Can you try booting into Windows from another hard drive? Did you try booting with a Linux LiveCD? At this point you still don't know if your instability is related to a hard drive problem or a CPU/memory/mobo problem. There are lots of things you can try so get going!

Back