• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding on PS2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Speedmonkay

In my hour long drive to and from work I have lots of time to think (in between dodging people who suck at driving). I was thinking hey F@H for things like a PS2 would be great. I have a PS2 that has been in a box for over a year because it wont read CDs (first gen PS2). I know they have stuff that will make a PS2 run stuff from a USB harddrive and have emulators of all kinds. Only thing would be getting WUs.
But just think. Load a USB HD or a thumbdrive with F@H and set it to no deadlines and load up your queue. Then you take your old PS2 and turn it on and plug in the USB drive. Run the emulator/ PS2 version of F@H let it go through the queue and then when its done you plug it in the PC and turn in all the WUs done in the queue and get a new batch.
But its just a crazy idea I had while I was bored.

I started folding on a lappy a few months ago. The P-M does a good job. I put my lappy on a bakers cooling rack to allow air to circ. around it. It droped the harddrive temp 5c.

Good Luck
psy

:eek::drool::eek::drool::eek::drool:

yeah i remember when the PS2 linux kit came out. I had the CD images of it but I couldnt part with FFXI on my PS2HD. I wonder how many PPD a PS2 could get you ....

I think the main problem will be the type of processor the ps2 uses. It's not x86 like the xbox and it's also not a PowerPC Mac. I don't think you could get the client to play well on it. :(

yea, and If i recall, its only like 294mhz. Defnally wouldnt make a good folding platform. The xbox would be a bit better. They have pIII chips at like 750mhz or something

Still would be pretty cool thou :)

shellshock said:
yea, and If i recall, its only like 294mhz. Defnally wouldnt make a good folding platform. The xbox would be a bit better. They have pIII chips at like 750mhz or something

Still would be pretty cool thou :)

I think it is a celeron because it only has 128k l2. It is running at 100fsb though.

Back