• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hard Drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frodo Baggins

I have 2 identical 160 GB hard drivers installed on my computer (running XP). Both hard drives are detected by the BIOS and both hard drives appear in the Device Manager. But only one hard drive appears in My Computer. What can I do?

Start > Run > diskmgmt.msc Once there, you should see the drive. You may have to initialize the disk by right clicking on the Disk # area, or simply partition and format the disk by right clicking on the drive space area.

Most likely your issue is that the first hard-drive is formatted (which has windows installed on it, I assume), and the second hasn't been formatted yet. If you want to see it in My Computer, do the following:

Start -> Run -> type in diskmgmt.msc then hit OK
Now you have format the drive. Look on the bottom pane and you'll see things labeled Disk0, Disk1, etc
If Disk0 is the first 160GB with Windows on it, Disk1 should be listed as unpartitioned 160GB of space.
You'll need to rightclick on the non-used space, then click New Partition. Hopefully the rest should be simple from there.

Edit: Doh, beat by 4 minutes :( I need to type faster.

Back