• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Feeling very goofty this morning...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ghettocomp

Master of teh Ghetto Mods
And just had to say, "wow" I just LOVE this 'Diskless Windows' folding. when my network went down a couple or so weeks ago, I though I might have lost everything in progress. Now that I have most of the layers up and running, ""wow"" I have lost nothing but some time!! as I brought each layer up and let it have access the server, and because of the Mac addressing scheme I use in the TFTPD32 server, The old nics I used forced the server to pickup the WUs that were being worked on and forced the new layers to work on them. I have already finished a couple. Folding Monkeys already got most of them, and my own personal points over the next day or so should take a huge jump from ground zero! :D:thup:

We use Overclockix to go headless...we once lost our farm work when the server got trashed (power spike).

But most times when the server crashes (and usually everything else...we love our thunderstorms here in Atlanta), you just need to reboot everything. We find if you reboot in the same order, they generally get the same IP, and everything is cool.

But sometimes certain PXE's get a wild hair and get their IP from the router, not the local server, and then the IP changes. This is actually not such a big problem...we just power down the layer, rename the folder(s) on the server to the new IP address, and reboot.

And if a layer crashes (but not the server), the server will typically recognize the MAC address and assign the same IP anyway.

se my problem with both the windows diskless and overclockix is i cant seem to get it to support HT/SMP :( it alwasy just wants to fold on one core or two cores but never all 4. so atm i have been trying to set up a gentoo diskless cluster and its just not working right... im about to just pull out a bunch of drives and plug the suckers in.

I see you pain over the HT issues. I tested the windows diskless with a Dual CPU rigs and it picked up and ran with both CPUs! 2 instances! only problem I have now is justifying using diskless windows with Dual P-Pro 200Mhz system. I believe that most of the WUs would expire long before completion. I have yet to figure how to get the server to select sub Ghz/low ram systems for the TTs. Now That in itself would be cool!

Time to go reconfigure the server. I have to figure how to get it to forget adding other non-folding rigs to the mix.
edit: wait! I know.. The TFTPD server has a way of forceing it to listen to a dedicated nic and give inet access on the other. 2 NICs! now why didnt I think of that earlier?

I'm Planning on using one of the extra VIA mobo/CPU combos I have. 800Mhz with the performance of 200 :D However networking through those little setups is very good, I think one of these would work as well as a the TFTPD server as it does for my Smoothwall setup :)

Probably will do that, then eventually split the PSU to run the smoothie and the Diskless server. save a little power that way. Shouldnt be too difficult.

Glad to hear you're getting everything back up ghetto!

Junebug said:
But most times when the server crashes (and usually everything else...we love our thunderstorms here in Atlanta)
Are you getting the hail storms today like I am?

I love my diskless/headless farm. Saving watts and cpu cycles. You can't hardly lose. We don't get many of those power spiking/outing storms here in NC. Not having to buy HDs or vid cards has saved me enough to tinker into some good budget AMD deals.

Many thanks to ghetto for starting that diskless/headless thread, and to NotFred for the setup. :thup: :thup:

iceage said:
I love my diskless/headless farm. Saving watts and cpu cycles. You can't hardly lose. We don't get many of those power spiking/outing storms here in NC. Not having to buy HDs or vid cards has saved me enough to tinker into some good budget AMD deals.

Many thanks to ghetto for starting that diskless/headless thread, and to NotFred for the setup. :thup: :thup:

I <3 my little farm too.. Does save money in the long run, since most Hard Drives cost many times more than most motherboard/cpu combos, I can afford to get more boards. Video cards are no problem. If I need any, I can find decent onces for less than ten bucks each. I buy 480 watt PSUs for around $10 each. Since each layer uses only around 135-150 watts and each layer uses nothing but ram, I dont have to worry about spending a lot of money on PSUs either.
so lets see, average layer cost:
Mobo/CPU combo from Frys Elextroniks - $50-80..depends..
PSUs from Computergeeks.com - $8-11 on sale (moonlight madness nights)
256 Mb of RAM from wherever.. $20 +/-
totals (average sort of): $111. many times it is much less..

Then depending on how I play with things, Each layer usually costs me around $60-80! well worth the time. I don't even consider the misc extras like cables (I make my own) or the switches/routers, those are cheap at Frys Elex. (around $7-10 on sale)

Last edited:
ghettocomp said:
And just had to say, "wow" I just LOVE this 'Diskless Windows' folding. when my network went down a couple or so weeks ago, I though I might have lost everything in progress. Now that I have most of the layers up and running, ""wow"" I have lost nothing but some time!! as I brought each layer up and let it have access the server, and because of the Mac addressing scheme I use in the TFTPD32 server, The old nics I used forced the server to pickup the WUs that were being worked on and forced the new layers to work on them. I have already finished a couple. Folding Monkeys already got most of them, and my own personal points over the next day or so should take a huge jump from ground zero! :D:thup:

Glad to hear you're back up n runnin GC. :clap: Bet you're happier n a 'pig ina poke' about now. :welcome: back
Redleg

Back