• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS P5WD2-E Premium Windows Install Problem (on RAID 0 array)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tycanadian

Hi, I have a system with the ASUS P5WD2-E Premium motherboard and two WD Raptor 150's in RAID 0, both attached to the Intel ICH7R controller. However, even when I use my "F6 disk" to load the RAID drivers, the Windows XP Pro installation always gets hung when it says "Setup is starting Windows". I know it is hung because my numlock key doesn't do anything and CTRL-ALT-DEL does nothing either. I have tried two versions of the Intel RAID drivers now and several different BIOS settings with regard to my hard drives. I've been at this for two days now and am getting very frustrated! I'm using BIOS 0501 with a Presler 930. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get past this hang up?

first of all you need a windows with sp1 and sp2 slip streamed in the disk did set it for raid in bios and set up the intel chip if not read your manaul good luck

SP2 is necessary? The install I've been using only had SP1, I'll give an install with SP2 a try. Also, what do you mean by "set up the intel chip"? Thanks for the advice.

I am not on my PC right now so I am going from memory. He is speaking about the IDE settings I believe on the first page of the BIOS...the last thing in the list. Set that to SATA/RAID, etc. Then once you reboot it will come up with a black screen with green lettering and there you hit ctrl+l and setup the actual RAID by selecting the proper drives to include in the array, RAID type, etc.

Ah yes, sorry I forgot to mention that I set up both my Raptor 150's in RAID 0 with 64k striping, and these are recognized as a single RAID array in the BIOS. That is all done and should be fine. I've also tried it with just a single drive and no RAID to make sure that wasn't the problem, and came across the same problem.

Thanks Ross, I added you so hopefully I'll see you on sometime soon. In the meantime any other ideas are most welcome. Thanks guys.

Hey guys,

I got it working, thanks for your help. Turns out all I needed was SP2 built into my Windows install CD. SP1 just wouldn't recognize my SATA setup. All is well.

Back