• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless Problems . . . . Please help!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anubis_386

I’m having major problems with my wireless network and internet sharing, I have my broadband (1mb) being distributed to my 3 PCs that are around the house by a Belkin wireless router and USB receivers but on 2 of my PCs every so often the connection just goes for no reason, then after I repair it the connection goes again and again for a while until its ok. Also on these 2 PCs with problems I am never getting anywhere near my 1mb speed.

I haven’t explained it very well but if any one knows anything that will help please do, like would better wireless stuff help (as the current stuff was fairly cheap)

Thanks

Anubis_386 said:
I’m having major problems with my wireless network and internet sharing, I have my broadband (1mb) being distributed to my 3 PCs that are around the house by a Belkin wireless router and USB receivers but on 2 of my PCs every so often the connection just goes for no reason, then after I repair it the connection goes again and again for a while until its ok. Also on these 2 PCs with problems I am never getting anywhere near my 1mb speed.

I haven’t explained it very well but if any one knows anything that will help please do, like would better wireless stuff help (as the current stuff was fairly cheap)

Thanks

USB receivers can be problematic, but let's try something first. If you haven't done so already, hook up one of the PCs directly to your router via ethernet cable, and do a speed test (http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest) to see what your downstream and upstream is.

As for the USB receivers, the first thing of course is to get the latest drivers from the vendor website (which you probably did too). Things like cordless phones and fluorescent bulbs also interfere with wireless connectivity, as well as distance and positioning from the router, so take those into consideration.

We have a Netgear WG111 on the Dell system here at home, which works fine with my D-Link 624 router, IF you don't switch users or log out. If you do switch users, any connection from one account will be dropped. Long time ago, I used to have a Linksys USB adapter and was having the same connectivity problems that you are having (I always had to "repair" the connection when it dropped the link.)

Personally I'd invest in a PCI card if you have a desktop or a PCMCIA card if you have a laptop to avoid any issues with the USB adapters. USB adapters are convenient but they have their share of problems.

Back