• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NonToxic Coolant?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Obviously you didn't read it. You asked for good non-toxic coolant, and the thread I linked you to has great arguments on what non-toxic coolants people have tried, as well as links to other articles/pages. Sorry, I'm not gonna read that thread just to post whats already been said.

EDIT:
Alright, I read through it anyway. The 2 things that caught my eye were propylene glycol and FluidXP. I don't know if propylene glycol is non-toxic, or just less toxic.

Better?

citronym said:
Obviously you didn't read it. You asked for good non-toxic coolant, and the thread I linked you to has great arguments on what non-toxic coolants people have tried, as well as links to other articles/pages. Sorry, I'm not gonna read that thread just to post whats already been said.

EDIT:
Alright, I read through it anyway. The 2 things that caught my eye were propylene glycol and FluidXP. I don't know if propylene glycol is non-toxic, or just less toxic.

Better?
Good job!! would you like to cut my 2 1/2 acres of yard, do the dishes, and clean house ,the link you provided did'nt help with all that. roflmao Edit SORRY about the thread crap Been drinkin and posted befor I put my brain in gear.

citronym said:
Discussed heavily in this sticky
Not bashing.. so dont get me wrong. I read that and it seems that sticky is more about fussing about what people dont like. It doesnt give a real good idea of what can be used and if one is better then the other. I personally went with 85%water/15%antifreeze (because of mixed metals). Its the first time I've used it like this. So I have no ideas on what the outcome will be. I just found what to use through search. Thor is the one I observed on the amount to use. I trust him.
If your looking for nontoxic, look at the antifreeze that is kid/animal safe. Its easy to find at auto parts stores. O'Riellys is the best to get it at. Autozone only has one type like this. Walmart also has a couple. Pick your place. For water. Use bottled. Get a 1 gallon jug of it and worry not about boiling any more. Got sick of boiling water every time I changed fluid in my wc loop.

Oper8or said:
For water. Use bottled. Get a 1 gallon jug of it and worry not about boiling any more. Got sick of boiling water every time I changed fluid in my wc loop.
Best to use distilled water, not just any bottled water. Why would you ever boil the water, this has me more than confused.

None of the auto parts stores here carry any propylene glycol of any kind. The only thing I can get is "engine ice" that a couple of motorcycle shops carry 9mentioned in that thread). I don't have any pets or very small children but was considering switching to this. However, it is a lot more than antifreeze, so for now I decided to stick with my blue vw antifreeze.

nikhsub1 said:
Best to use distilled water, not just any bottled water. Why would you ever boil the water, this has me more than confused.
Distilled is what I meant. Boiling water cleans it. Common concept.

Boiling water may steralize it, but it does not clean it of the heavy elements present it tap water, if that is what you are suggesting. Boiling causes evaporation, leaving a higher concentration of impurities. I don't know why you would boil water to change your loop other than if you were using tap water. If you boiled distilled water then thats kinda silly.

Either way, I don't mind, I just use grocery store distilled.

Personally, I have nanopure DDI. If anyone is interested and lives near Tally, you can give me a ring and I'll hook you up.

As for non-toxic, any type of antifreeze seems to void warrenties on reservoirs. So check to make sure before using it. Also, beware of propylene glycol, as it can be toxic as well.

I think he ment he distills water, not too hard, heres a simple one. We do it in chemistry lab sometimes, of course we do it in large quantities but you get the idea :) Of course you would want to have all air tight connection and possible put a filter in there near both ends to make sure you dont get any impurities or you could distill multiple times etc..

da1vw.jpg

Encore2097 said:
I think he ment he distills water, not too hard, heres a simple one. We do it in chemistry lab sometimes, of course we do it in large quantities but you get the idea :) Of course you would want to have all air tight connection and possible put a filter in there near both ends to make sure you dont get any impurities or you could distill multiple times etc..

da1vw.jpg
BINGO. Modified pressure cooker with copper pipping.

Been using FluidXp for about 9 months now. Not a single problem. The lable says it is basically edible though I will never try.

I have a 2.4C overclocked to 3.2 and stable. I switched because my 3 year son pulled a clamp out and was sitting in a pool of green stuff (I have an external rad). I had used 5% antifreez. Luckily he never put it in his mouth and I was right in the room. Poison control said for humans 5% is not fatal but may damage development.That sacred the hell out of me and got be into wondering, 'why did I get toxic stuff in the house when I have a toddler? what if no adult was in the room? and so on'.

As far as cooling goes it works as well as anything else I have tried. After 9 months there is a small white crusty stuff at the water level mark in my diy plastic jar res. It dissolves if I scrape it off. The water block is clean as a wistle.

Apd.

Back