• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Voltage mod on CHAINTECH mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Moa

Registered
I am trying to do a mod for my motherboard (Chaintech 7VJDA)
I am pretty happy with the board, pretty stable, working well (162 Mhz FSB), etc, etc... Unfortunately it is the same problem as with the Shuttle AK31 : though the Bios shows options to increase the voltage of the processor up to 2.10V, it does effectively allow to increase it only up to 1.85V
So I had a closer look at the board and found the I/O regulator chip is the SC2422.
I tried then to do the same mod as motherboards using the same chip. Basically pluging a potentiometer between the pin 7 of the chip and the ground of the motherboard
BUT, to my surprise, when I start the computer. the voltage of the processor (I monitor it in the BIOS) is lower than without. And when I decrease the resistor value by turning the potentiometer, the voltage decreases...
Sounds really strange to me. I can't believe a small motherboard builder like Chaintech could have implememented the chip in a different way than all the other mobo makers... The only clue I have is I am using a 50 kOhm pot (only thing I had at home), whereas for this chip a 100 kOhm pot is advised. Could it be that the actual voltage first increases for a high value of the pot and then decreases (Kind of protection) ? Or a wrong soldering ? (It looks fine but it's a bit difficult to see well in my case as I did not extract the mobo from my case). It would be surprising as it is really working well, but jus the reverse from what I am expecting !!!!
I guess I will know more next week-end when I go and buy a 100 k pot, but maybe not..
Please if someone already experienced strange things of this kind with his mod, help !!!

Back