• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DirectX 10 will be not released for Windows XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lordkosc

X-bit labs is reporting that DirectX 10 will be not released for Windows XP, instead, Microsoft will keep the new API strictly for the forthcoming Windows Vista OS, despite earlier assumptions about DirectX 10 for the XP.

During a DirectX 10-related event in London, UK, Richard Huddy, ATI Technologies' software developers relations chief, said that Microsoft's Vista will integrate DirectX 10 and DirectX 9 APIs for different types of hardware, but the current Windows XP will not get DirectX 10 support, as suggested some rumours earlier. For end users this means that to get the most advantages of the new-generation graphics processing units (GPUs), the new OS will be required.

Both ATI Technologies and Nvidia Corp. planned to release hardware that supports DirectX 10 capabilities as early as in the second half 2006, however, if there will be no API, which unveils the features of the hardware, the companies may reconsider their plans.

M$ needs a slap upside the head! So they are pretty much making everyone wait till Vista to get DX10 goodness! Grrrr!

That sucks bad then... was hoping to upgrade to a dx10 card, but i wanted to wait for a minimum of a year till after vista is released to make the switch...

Well, I'm sure they did it so that people would want to buy Vista. It's unfortunate for people who want to stick with XP though.

Scott9027 said:
Well, I'm sure they did it so that people would want to buy Vista. It's unfortunate for people who want to stick with XP though.

That it is. However, I believe that MS will in fact back-port DX10 to WinXP, as VERY few people out there currently have machines CAPABLE of running Windows Vista, much less running it well. (Heck... it would choke my machine, and I got an A64 3200+, 1gb of PC3200, and a GeForce 6800!)

TollhouseFrank said:
That it is. However, I believe that MS will in fact back-port DX10 to WinXP, as VERY few people out there currently have machines CAPABLE of running Windows Vista, much less running it well. (Heck... it would choke my machine, and I got an A64 3200+, 1gb of PC3200, and a GeForce 6800!)
I disagree. Mine runs the beta at really good speeds. The system requirements they put out were kind of false, you don't need 512 7800's in SLI and a Conroe to run vista at minimum requirements :p

Boot time could be faster, but it's a beta, so meh.

TollhouseFrank said:

im sorry but this is completely false here....

i've been beta testing vista for months and it runs fine on my old crappy gateway w/ a p4 2.4ghz, 512mb ram and Ti4200.

that obviously wouldnt run dx10 games but it runs vista quite nice.

i'm not a big fan of forced updates. if it were up to me i'd still be using msn messenger 5.0. i even hacked my motherboard driver cd so i could get usb 2.0 without installing sp1. i know that eventually, when my current hardware configuration can't run newer games smoothly, i'm going to have to do some upgrades. they'll have to drag me kicking and screaming into vista though.

I can't say I'm surprised in the least though. Vista isn't really an attractive option for many people as Windows XP is actually decent compared to previous Microsoft OS' like Windows 98, so they have to pull things like this in order to force people to move to Vista.

well that just sucks. so basically, soon (when dx10 come out) they will stop games being made for xp? which will eventually force people to switch to vista, which will force people to buy new machine and wasted money....

mercenary ********.

There not going to do that immediately. It's going to optional till enough people upgrade. The pc market is going to probably take a hit from next gen. consoles and they don't want to risk killing off customers.

The way things are, I think you guys are over-reacting a bit (j/k). After all, I highly doubt that Vista will be out for another year or two. For all we know, it may be canned for good. :D

Forced technology upgrades is an interesting issue to debate on. It isn't a bad thing per-se, but combined with ultra-restrictive crap like spyware/stealth DRM, it can be a disaster in the making. Now that Intel CPU's support/will support chip level DRM, one can only hope for the worst.

Back