• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which drivers for my x800gto?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

uzibear

i got a sapphire x800gto and am unsure what drivers to download. could someone point me in the right direction?

i'll use ati tool for oc'ing, temp monitoring etc. but i imagine i need another driver as well? do i need to download this huge obnoxious "catalyst" thing?? i remember it being a big massive program.

i'm a newbie so i just want a good driver that works (if i do have a choice which i imagine i probably don't). i haven't oc'd before but would like to start

I know Catalyst 6.4 (and 6.5?) have problems with the X1000 series sometimes, but I don't know about the X800's. Most people are using the 6.3's right now, but generally the latest drivers work best. www.omegadrivers.net has modified Ati drivers on their site, 6.3 being the latest they have modified, a lot of people use those too. Omegas generally give slightly better image quality with no performance loss, but I think Omega recently stated that Ati has actually been doing a good job, and he hasn't had to change much.

Also, CCC is not needed. I don't use it on my X1800. Durring the driver installation, just uncheck the little box, and install drivers only. Then, download Ati Tray Tools to change your settings. Omegas come with this program by default.

EDIT: Omega has 6.5's out now, I'll check out his changelog.

so i put my pc together, downloaded the omega drivers and installed. a couple times during install windows prompted me with "file cannot be coppied" or somethign, with the options of "retry", or "cancel". i tried "retry but didn't work so i clicked cancel. not sure what the files were, but is this a problem. i restarted and it seems that everything is working fine for now. huh???

anyway, this is on a completely fresh xp-pro install.

I had the same problem, so I checked on the driverheaven forums, and it turned out that some of the mirrors contained a version which showed that error. It doesn't effect anything, but most of the mirrors had an updated version which didn't show that error.

yeah, so i guess there was a file that wasn't supposed to be there that the omega-designer left in or something?

ok, so i'll just leave it then. i played farcry with no problems. do you guys use ati tool to OC?

I always used Tray Tools' overclocker, simply because it worked well enough and I'd rather keep everything in a single program. I use AtiTool to overclock my X1800 now, but only because Tray Tools doesn't support them yet.

Back