• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

troubles again.........

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jeff Bolton

ok i thought that i had my chip stable, but just a little while ago i was chatting..i closed folding at home, i was watching how fast my temps would drop and i heard my high rpm delta fan slow down, then start going faster, slow down, faster, etc, then the computer shut off. so i went into bios, then upped the vcore one notch again. now the vcore is at the highest i can set it...am i doing something wrong and will this cause damage to my chip? if it is i'm gonna just drop it back to 1300..

thanks,
jeff

If you have your 7K delta plugged into the motherboard switch it to the power supply connector.
The fans speeding up and slowing down means your power is fluctuating either the board, power supply or apm is most likley the cause.

Use motherboard monitor or a similar program and check your voltages while using folding, if you are getting under 4.85v it could be the problem. The advanced power managment (apm)of the os sometimes causes strange voltage fluctuations you might try disabing it.

300 w sounds fine ........ firstly i'm no expert but i know a few people who would advise 350.

have you checked the possibility of a weak connection or a short in one of the ps cables ?

Also is your 5v line 5v or is it something like 4.2 ?

I gottta go though so i can't reply for a while.

How are you O/Cing? I'm guessing FSB. My ram wants +.2V to work at 143MHz so it's set in the BIOS as 3.5V but VIAhm adds another +.1V to this reading. Maybe a little nudge on the 3.3V rail will help with stability.

Yup. It's part of the I/O

SOFT MENU III

x
x
x
x

CPU POWER SUPPLY
- CORE VOLTAGE - xxxxx (board adds .1V)
- I/O - THIS ONE (board adds .1V & VIAhm read it another +.1V)

I hope you are running the 3R BIOS.

BeBop Bolton said:
ok i thought that i had my chip stable, but just a little while ago i was chatting..i closed folding at home, i was watching how fast my temps would drop and i heard my high rpm delta fan slow down, then start going faster, slow down, faster, etc, then the computer shut off. so i went into bios, then upped the vcore one notch again. now the vcore is at the highest i can set it...am i doing something wrong and will this cause damage to my chip? if it is i'm gonna just drop it back to 1300..

thanks,
jeff

Thats a bug with some of those lame abit kt7 boards. I had the same problem so i bought myself an asus board instead and everything went fine.

But i have heard that bug is fixed in the latest bios so try flash your bios.

The problem is that some halt function is enabled on older bioses which cause some systems to be unstable, thats why the fan speed changes when you load it because at idle it turns the fsb down.

Mine was so bad that at idle i could use my [email protected] WITHOUT FAN only heatsink, and the temps NEVER went over 35c!! i tried for hours....

hey guys, thanks for the ideas, but when i think about it, i need to get a better heatsink before i try to take things any further. the stock coolermaster one that i have is good for what i have now (load is about 51°C/122°F), but i don't want to take any chances on making it too much hotter. I can't afford a good heatsink right now, much less a new chip if the one i have got fried...sooo...i guess i'll have to be happy with what i've got for now and take it to the next level when i get some more $$$ (probably christmas time). see you all later, and thanks for the help.

jeff

Back