• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you make a Male-to-Male USB cable? Or 6pin-to-6pin firewire?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeatM1ser2k4

Can you make a Male-to-Male USB cable, or a 6 pin -to- 6 pin firewire cable?

If so, is there a tutorial that someone could post a link to please?

HeatM1ser2k4 said:
Can you make a Male-to-Male USB cable
Yes, I've even A to A cables sold in stores (except for extension cables, all usb cables are male to male, they are just usually A to B). The thing is, there is very little that they are actually good for, and IMO, they shouldn't exist. If you are expecting to connect two computers together with just an A to A cable, forget it. It wound work, and because you are tying the +5 lines of two differnet PSUs together, you may even cause damage. If you need to network two computers together, you can use a cat5 crossover cable, buy a usb cable designed for plugging two computers into each other (which has a bit more than just an A to A cable), or there's a way to do it with firewire.

Gnufsh said:
Yes, I've even A to A cables sold in stores (except for extension cables, all usb cables are male to male, they are just usually A to B). The thing is, there is very little that they are actually good for, and IMO, they shouldn't exist. If you are expecting to connect two computers together with just an A to A cable, forget it. It wound work, and because you are tying the +5 lines of two differnet PSUs together, you may even cause damage. If you need to network two computers together, you can use a cat5 crossover cable, buy a usb cable designed for plugging two computers into each other (which has a bit more than just an A to A cable), or there's a way to do it with firewire.
I really wanteds it for being able to network 2 computers thorugh the firewire ports on out Audigy 2 ZS Platinum panels.Then I thought it might work just as well using a USB 2.0 Male-to-Male cable.I've made crossover cables, so I figured I could make this.Seems like its a big risk to take in order to save $10-15 on buying a cable.Thanks!

HeatM1ser2k4 said:
I really wanteds it for being able to network 2 computers thorugh the firewire ports on out Audigy 2 ZS Platinum panels.Then I thought it might work just as well using a USB 2.0 Male-to-Male cable.I've made crossover cables, so I figured I could make this.Seems like its a big risk to take in order to save $10-15 on buying a cable.Thanks!

I am told that it is a fact that with a USBA Male to USBA Male, you will burn out those ports, if not the chipset that controls it. This is because of the 5 volts it provides.

Firewire is great. Some cables are fairly cheap, and it is very fast (Mine runs at 480 mbits i think. Perfect for transfering data quickly).

HeatM1ser2k4 said:
Not only is it a big risk, it simply won't work without a very specialized cable with electronics in it. I think firewire (or just a cat5 crossover) is what you want.

THis site has good linkls for firewire networking:
http://www.homenethelp.com/network/firewire.asp

Back