• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU causing no POST?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
Hello all, I'm running Dual 2.8Ghz Xeon Nocona's @3.2Ghz. I have been recently running into some problems when I started ocing the procs. When you turn it on, it doesn't post, it just sits there. After multiple times of turning it off and back on (30+, seriously), I pulled the door and started poking around. I started off simple, such as unplugging 1 hdd, and it fired up right away. I believe this is a PSU problem (I have a listed 'bad' brand to have) because I'm putting it under ALOT of stress (4 8w fans, MCP655 water pump, dual xeon oc'd, 7800gt, 3 hdd's, cd/dvd burner). Can a crappy PSU cause a MB not to post? (<--thats my question) I have on order a OCZ 600W from NewEgg. A quick reply would be greatly appreciated and I can answer any questions you have!

Thanks,
Thideras

EDIT: I have also noticed that my +12V rail is supposedly running 16V, this might be a MB reading error, or it really is putting out 16v (which I doubt)

thideras said:
Can a crappy PSU cause a MB not to post?

EDIT: I have also noticed that my +12V rail is supposedly running 16V, this might be a MB reading error, or it really is putting out 16v (which I doubt)
Most definately.

16V is in error, either the sensor is bad or something else is amiss.

You can put a volt meter on the red and black leads on a spare molex connector to read "true" volts on the 12v rail, or any others volts for that matter.

Lol, not 10 mins ago, the PSU died, it just shut off, no power...can't turn it back on...hehe, good thing I just ordered a new one! Now, I'm on the laptop for two days...grrr...

Lol, only...
Dual 2.8Ghz Xeon...
7800GT (new)...
1Gig Transcend DDR2 memory...
Brand new $500 w/c system...
3 Hdd's...
Only about 3 grand in the tower...lol, hope it didn't fry anything...:beer:

And you think the 520 is better...hmm, I wasn't aware of any differences except wattage...well, I didn't look hard

The difference is the single 12v rail(520w) vs the dual 12v rail(600w). I've had my 600w for a couple months now with no problems. I dont think you will run into any power restrictions with this unit.

When a PSU is struggling to provide power it is possible for it to overvolt. I wouldn't think it would go over by that amount (16v) but the motherboard reading is not to be trusted in any case. When your PSU arrives I would recommend measuring your rails with a voltmeter to verify that it is able to keep up with the heavy load you are putting on it.

Some people have had luck with the 600w powerstream so I would not panic unless it gives you trouble. Most prefer the 520w with the single 12v rail. I have not tried both, but my 520w has never let me down, and it has seen its fair share of punishment.

Back