• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Dispenser Chiller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Epox4life

I went to walmart and bought one of those 90$ water dispensers.
I know most of you are going to say you should have got an AC unit.
But I dont have the space for one. This water dispenser should suit my needs anyway.
It will only be taking the heat load of a single gpu.
I got the test setup running. No frost on the cpu block yet. Will see what happens.
I'll get some pictures up later today or this week.

Update* -1.2C on the DD RBX block.

Last edited:
-1.2C with or without load? And if with what kind of a load are we talking about?

Looking good, lets see some pictures.

Since the evap coils are only wrapped around the alum water tank I took the whole thing apart.
Its stripped to the basic parts now.
I ran it with the evap coils exposed and read temps of -10C to -15C after 5mins.
Im going to try to take evap coils off the water tank.
Then im going put the evap coils in some type of cooler so they have direct contact with the water/coolant.

We will see, I'll get some pics up tomorrow.
I cant figure out how to get this alum water tank off the copper evap coils that are wrapped around it.
I hope they didnt braze the two together.

-26.6C on the evap coils, will have some pics up tonight (looking for the cable to my camera).

And I think I know the reason the temps were high using the built in water tank as a chiller.
This water tank that the evap coils are on is stainless steel which isnt the greatest conducter of heat.
The temps on the tank are just above freezing.

Last edited:
Epox4life said:
-26.6C on the evap coils, will have some pics up tonight (looking for the cable to my camera).

Does it say what refegerant?

Do you think you could adjust the charge if needed?

your heat load will likely be high.. how big is the condesor and do you have a big fan for it?

Ive got one of those round steel floor fans from the HW store puts out ALOT of air preasure and CFM's :thup:

Ive got a box windows fan blowing on it, I think its a 1/6hp but you know how it is.
1.45amps, 115V, 1.41oz of R134a.
30.2lbs compressor, brand ZEL, same brand I saw in the OCZ phase change unit.
Its holding around -25C tp -27C, not insulated.

Have a look at the condenser yourself I used the same unit as this guy, but im modding it more.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=390293

Last edited:
R134a Is the automotive or duster refegerant IIRC, if thats the case that has some room for impovement.

My fan would woop up on a box fan :p

Thats ~167 Watts, I would have to go look up the convertion charts (I dont recall that info right now)

Yea the only thing im worried about is the condenser just not being good enough.
Didnt the Mach I use R134a?

Update* on the other thread you said something about plastic being a problem?

Last edited:
Epox4life said:
Yea the only thing im worried about is the condenser just not being good enough.
Didnt the Mach I use R134a?

The condesor can be compensated for to some extent with a powerfull fan. a getto cardboard shrowd might help to :thup:

I kinda doubt the Mach I would have used that refegerant.. not sure what it used really.

R290/Propane is better if I am recalling that refegerant correctly.

btw if this http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=300129 is right your compressor is a little under 1/4HP

yea I dont trust that formula I doubt this compressor is anything above 1/6hp.
you will see in the pictures once I get them up, its tiny. no taller then a UEI thermometer.

Update* put the evap and metal tank in 4.7Liters of coolant/water see how long it takes to get it down to temp.
Check this out Mach I, R134a, http://www.tomshardware.com/2002/12/30/prometeia/page2.html

Last edited:
hermatic compressors are tiny :p

1/3hp unit, I can fit in my cuped hands

thats just a R134a compressor (not so hot vacume)

Last edited:
I have a few 1/5hp compressors they are about the size of your head, maybe a little bigger. The one in the water chiller you bought is probbaly 1/8hp or 1/10hp.

I dont know about 1/3hp fitting in your hands green, you must have some tiny compressor. In which case it doesnt matter if it is 1/3hp if the volumetric displacement is that low.

r134a is a pretty standart refrigerant in the world we live in today because its cheap, easy to use and not very bad for the ozone. But preformance wise its rather poor.

Dont count on your evap temperatures, that and with no load, they mean little. Lets see some load coolant temps.

Cant wait to see it finished I have a bet going here with someone on the outcome :D

Im having trouble finding the USB cable to my m:robe mp3 player/camera, I think I left it in my locker at school.
Tomorrow if I find the wire pictures will go up I already took a bunch of pictures just cant get them to the computer.
I'll borrow my friends camera if I cant find it.

Its basically done I already bent the evap line so I can put the coils in a cooler.
All I need now is a cooler and some anti freeze.
I hooked up a test system again today with the RBX block and my coolant that is rated for -9C.
And the evap coils which I put in a small cooler just had a frozen block of ice around them.

Last edited:
Based this ms-paint drawing on a real picture.
You can find pictures of the orginal unit here. http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=390293

water_chiller.gif

greenmaji said:
Have you looked into coolants much?

Like there is much to look in to. Methanol with water is the only sensible solution as it offers the best preformance with the lowest problems.

For the record glycol in antifreze is alot more corrosive then methanol. Nefilav has some copper, aluminum, copper and aluminum peaces soaking in methanol and methanol with water, and methanol with zerex and just in water to see the effects and so far no difference, been about a month.

With methanol the amout of it you would have to add to the water to keep it liquid is very small vs some other additives like ethanol, glycol etc. Which one makes it a safer mix and two lets you have more water in your mix which helps your preformance as its hard to beat water as a heat moving medium.

Last edited:
Back