• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hard drive going out?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Harvey041

Registered
I have had a 36GB raptor for about 11 months now, sometimes when I start my computer up I will get an error saying that it cant see the hard drive. So I reset the CMOS and same thing happens. Eventually after a couple restarts it will boot up just fine like nothing is wrong with it. I was wondering if this could be a sign that the hard drive is going out.

Check in your bios and see if there is something called a "drive spinup delay." It's not uncommon that older and faster drives will spin up more slowly with age. Once the drive is spun up to speed it will run the rest of its initialization/self-check routine and report attention to the controller. If the controller queries first and its not ready, the controller will only wait so long before marking the channel as empty and moving on. This is not to say something else could be wrong, but more often than not it's just cranky old equipment.

Back