• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dont want to end up like the guy under me!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eic3

anyone have general guidlines that will help me with my first build? i have a 1.3k budget, im going the amd route for a gaming machine. any tips would be greatly appreciated
thx guys

Welcome to the forums!!! - and no you dont lol but getting a defective PSU that frys your whole system is very rare(as long as you pick a good one of course)

opty 165
7900GT/X1900XT(evga, bfg, xfx/powercolor, saphire)
nforce 4 ultra mobo(asus, dfi, epox)
Western Digital SE16(w.e size you want)
2x1gb pc4000 or higher(corsair, ocz, g. skill, mushkin)
DVD burner(brand doesn't really matter just go cheap+good reviews)
500w+ PSU with tons of amps on the 12v rail(s) (enermax, ocz, fsp, pc&p, antec)
mid-tower case - 120mm fan intake, 120mm fan exhaust side air duct/fan if you can (cooler master, antec, thermaltake, aspire, lan-li, chemning)
full-tower case - same amount of fans and stuff as mid tower, same brands.
floppy if you want(get cheapest one)
winxp pro sp2 for an OS
scythe ninja + 120mm fan(panaflo, delta)

you can OC that thing to hell (in a good way)

since this is a first build i would google things about overclocking (how to overclock, overclocking guide, overclocking safely, overclock ect... get creative)

not sure how much that comes to, when im done with my spanish hw ill check more out and actually link you to parts

First of all, welcome to the forums!

Honestly, I think you're going about this the wrong way. Half (maybe even 75%) of the fun of building a new computer is doing the research and picking out the parts that will best suit your needs. You're depriving yourself of a lot of the joy of building a computer by asking us what is the best for you.

That being said, you've come along at a good time to build a new system. If you want the best bang for your buck as of right now, the Opty 165 system would probably be your best bet. If you don't mind waiting a few weeks, you'd probably be better served by waiting for Conroe to come out and spend your 1,300 on that. It's really up to you, but I'd recommend doing some research and checking it out for yourself.

Well, welcome to the forums, you'll find a lot of nice, helpful people around here. You'll find asking a question like this will get you lots of different answers, so it's probably best to already have a good idea of what you want before you go crazy with all the different opinions :eek:

And have fun with your first build, you have no idea what you've gotten yourself into! :beer:

Yea dude welcome to the sickness that is building your own PC's. People will think you are the god of all things technology...too bad the tips suck.

But you might want to check out my little thread here as well for a good idea of parts that seems to go together well.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=461779

That build will need to of course include a OS, HArd drives, DVD drives and whatever else you need. That 1.3k will get eaten up if you dont have the drives, peripharils and the like. But that is the best part...All you need is to do that once. Stick with the AMD 939 slot processors. Dual cores are nice, but can have issues with games. A good 1 mb single core will do pretty much everything, be VERY fast and cheap...much cheaper. If you are like me, you would rather spend less for a Slight dip in stock speeds and spend the remaining on cooling stuff to OC the **** out of it.

Welcome to the forums.

Back