• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

House fire, computers not damaged from heat but...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Trueweltall

Alright so my step-sisters house went up in flames. Long story short the computer room did not have any fire in it but it got a good deal of smoke damage. I took the computer apart already and blew it off with compressed air, the computer parts look fine save for some soot particles.

Im planning on wiping every part down with rubbing alcohol. Im thinking it should be fine after that though. The only parts im not going to try to use are the PS because its just got way too much soot in it plus they are cheap.

If anyone has any input before I do this please comment!

Be thankful you didn't end up with water damage. I think you'll be fine after a thorough cleaning, just make sure the alcohol is all the way dry before you plug anything in.

Yeah, im not going to actually turn this thing on for awhile. Not until I can get a PS to use and probably a new case...

Gnufsh said:
Be thankful you didn't end up with water damage. I think you'll be fine after a thorough cleaning, just make sure the alcohol is all the way dry before you plug anything in.
Given enough positive ventilation, all the alcohol should evaporate fairly quickly, say four to eight hours, give it twelve for safety's sake. Assuming you did a good enough job blowing things out, you ought to be able to fire it up just fine after replacing the PSU as you have described.

might not be a bad idea to brush everything down with a soft paintbrush or makeup brush.

Back