• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CSI: Redmond

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Malpine Walis

Disabled
I found this on Google news a few minutes ago. Enjoy.

Ballmer eventually gave up and instead lugged the machine back to Microsoft's Redmond, Wash. campus. There, several engineers spent several days, burrowing deep into the system to figure out the problem. Imagine, CSI: Redmond.

It turns out there were more than a hundred pieces of malware of various types. Things that these engineers using Microsoft's own private tools could not ferret out and fix. Some of these threats hooked themselves deeply into the core operating system and essentially lied about their existence. Other malware scoured the hard drive for anything containing the string "virus," and, in Allchin's words, would "shoot them dead." The result was disabling any installed antivirus software.

It took a team of engineers to restore this system to health. And it was a real wake-up call.

"This really opened our eyes to what goes on in the real world," says Allchin.

http://www.itworld.com/Man/2676/nls_solutinons_vista060525/index.html

i wonder if the computer was actually from somebody who purposely installed numerous viruses on it just to frustrate steve ballmer and a team of microsoft engineers, that would have made it much more funny.

i liked this comment
My point was simple: The new stuff is great. But you still haven't fixed the old stuff that has been broken for a decade.

NsOmNiA91130 said:
By the way, will Microsoft ever decide to use a filesystem that doesn't fragment?
No ;)

This_article + NTFS == why ( Linux > Windows )
^ my poor attempt at programming, but even if it's not right, it's true :D

Just read this, and though I find the humor in it, I also find the disturbing fact that MS is almost clueless to the reality of what we face every day. Can you really imagine that what are supposed to be some of the most computer-savvy people on the face of the earth aren't getting this?

Back