• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't play DVD Movies (Please help)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Noose

Registered
Hello all,
I have found the board to be very helpfull during my build and am hoping it will be equally helpfull in troubleshooting my problem!

Well here it is (thanks in advance for any helpfull suggestions offered!)

Whenever I try to play a DVD I recieve the following error msg:

"Power DVD.exe - Application Error.. The instruction at "0x7c01142e" referenced memory at "0x6c657672". The memory could not be "read".

I can not for the life of me figure out what the problem is. I recieve the same error regardless of what DVD I try to play. I have 2 dvd burners in my PC, a BenQ and a LightOn, and both have the same problem.

So far I have updated my drivers for my NVidea 7800gtx card and uninstalled and reinstalled PowerDVD with no luck.

I do not have a problem playing DVD based games and it looks like the movie DVD's are recognized as I can see the files in "My Computer".

Anyone have an idea? :bang head

Thanks for your help

Is your system overclocked? Even if it is not, I would run Mem Test on your system memory, to make sure that your memory is not the problem.

I had a lite-on dvd burner, it was cheap and I regret not putting out a few extra bucks for a good one. When the jumper was set to master, it caused my system to boot incredibly slow, but i slaved it, it was ok. The drive just caused system problems all round for me, then it finally just died. You may want to disable that drive, since it may or may not be a contributing factor.

Otherwise, get another DVD decoder and use different software to test and compare if you have the same resulting issues.

Thanks for the reply's. I have not yet overclocked my system, Optetron 170, 2gig Corsair 3500LL Pro, ASUS A8N32. Prime 12 hours, Memtest for 6, with no errors.

I have 2 burners in my rig, Lite on and BenQ. Both appear to work well, no problem reading data, etc. However I do get the "Memory can not be read" error when trying to play movies.

I have recently completed a lot of research on the internet and many people appear to have the same problem with various applications. I just havn't found a post with a solution to the problem!

Naked_07 said:
I had a lite-on dvd burner, it was cheap and I regret not putting out a few extra bucks for a good one. When the jumper was set to master, it caused my system to boot incredibly slow, but i slaved it, it was ok. The drive just caused system problems all round for me, then it finally just died. You may want to disable that drive, since it may or may not be a contributing factor.

Otherwise, get another DVD decoder and use different software to test and compare if you have the same resulting issues.

At the risk of sounding a ditz, what is a DVD decoder? Also can you suggest some software (freeware)? Curently using PowerDVD and Microsoft player. Both of which come up with the error msg.

hey no one said anything about spyware or virus' lol those are always an issue. try putting the dvd in another rig see what results you get. if it doesnt work trash it.

rip a DVD to your harddrive - good for dvd decrypter

see if it crashes then =- that will tell you if it is the DVD drivers or not

and i say only RIP it to your harddrive, iam not talking about re encoding or anything

just open the .VOB files youwill get with power dvd.

Also, with PowerDVD installed - Windows Media Player will play DVD's do try with Media player.

nope

PowerDVD installs the needed codecs - media player will pick up on em. thas what i always do, i use media player more often cause power dvd doesnt always play nice for me on my tv pending what video card i have used.

Thanks for all the replies. Wish I had the time right now, however it will be tomorrow before I get a chance to try them out. Someone suggested using a different player "BS", not sure what that is. Anyone know of any good freeware players, or one that has a trial period. I did try removing and reinstalling PowerDVD however that was a no go. I guess I could try it one more time and cross my fingers and toes and spin around 3 times for good luck :clap:

Ok, here is a bit of information on my system.

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Processor: Dual Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 170, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM (Corsair 3500LL PRO)
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX
Description: SB X-Fi Audio (Sound Card)

Drive: X:
Model: BENQ DVD LS DW1655
Driver: c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys, 5.01.2600.2180 (English), 8/4/2004 04:00:00, 49536 bytes

Drive: Z:
Model: LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-160P6S
Driver: c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys, 5.01.2600.2180 (English), 8/4/2004 04:00:00, 49536 bytes.

I did some research on the web and found that there are a lot of people who share the same problem on various applications. Just try a google search on "memory could not be read". The problem has existed for quite some time with no apparent solutions. I opened up a ticket with PowerDVD to see if they could resolve.

I am able to play DVD movies using InterActual Player and the Windows Media Player.

And it PowerDVD 5.0

Back