• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Move to AM2 or 939?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

{BC}Helix

The issue has been really bothering me lately. I was turned in the direction of AM2 back when people started making mention of it here and there, but I've recently considered just simply going to 939 from my current Socket-A mobile 2600. The Opty 165 in particular seems to do very well, and picking a motherboard would be easy. I've begun to doupt wether the wait for AM2 to mature is worth it given the marginal performance increase, and current higher prices. I don't want to keep waiting. So, since I've been a little out of the overclocking scene for a while now, it been difficult to decide what path to take into A64. Any suggestions?

I highly recommend AM2. AFAIK no more chips will be released for 939 (at least not the new architectures), so if you won't have a future proof rig.

dan

they are pretty close in price and pretty close in performance unfortunately, but still makes no sense to go 939...
also later when the 65nm's come out we may be singing another tune and get some more conroe like performance out of AM2...

if your not stuck with AMD think about Conroe as well. From the looks of it this is going to be an overclockers dream chip. I will most likly swap out my main rig with conroe and move my X2 into the livnig room as the media PC and retire my AXP at that time.

infinitevalence said:
if your not stuck with AMD think about Conroe as well. From the looks of it this is going to be an overclockers dream chip. I will most likly swap out my main rig with conroe and move my X2 into the livnig room as the media PC and retire my AXP at that time.

I agree , check out the thread inIntel cpu section, I would wait it out personally till July and then go Conroe for less or equal cost but with from what reviews show a significant boost over S939 and AM2

{BC}Helix said:
The issue has been really bothering me lately. I was turned in the direction of AM2 back when people started making mention of it here and there, but I've recently considered just simply going to 939 from my current Socket-A mobile 2600. The Opty 165 in particular seems to do very well, and picking a motherboard would be easy. I've begun to doupt wether the wait for AM2 to mature is worth it given the marginal performance increase, and current higher prices. I don't want to keep waiting. So, since I've been a little out of the overclocking scene for a while now, it been difficult to decide what path to take into A64. Any suggestions?
Note the push to conroe that is not going to be released till end of july. means more wait for you for things up in the air.
By then a lot can happen and all in AMD's favor.
You have been an AMD user stay in course you will be happy.
Plus, check the problems that lags conroe, no one willing to mention to you.
for one thing no sli, and ATI may be merging w/ AMD. there is also a socket G along the way and toward the end of the year, 4 65nm processor, all socket AM2. AMD all the way. buy a good mobo and a cheap A64 and hold on till end of year. a A64 3000 and a good AM2 board will cost you $250, Nvedia 590, SLI, w/ lots of amenities Conroe pusher would love to have. Oh also they dont tell you they are having problems w/ mobo that supports conroe, and a conroe/mobo combo will cost in the $500 range.

I would prefer to stay with AMD, bit of a fan-boy you see... If I do go with AM2, which it seems the current favor is in, I still need to decide on a chip, RAM and a board. I'm leaning towards dual core if I can afford it, and the Asus board and several of the Epox ones look good. What is the general feeling about AM2 boards since they're still young? DDR2 is still somewhat of a mystery for me.

ochungry said:
Note the push to conroe that is not going to be released till end of july. means more wait for you for things up in the air.
for one thing no sli, and ATI may be merging w/ AMD. there is also a socket G along the way and toward the end of the year, 4 65nm processor, all socket AM2. AMD all the way. buy a good mobo and a cheap A64 and hold on till end of year. a A64 3000 and a good AM2 board will cost you $250, Nvedia 590, SLI, w/ lots of amenities Conroe pusher would love to have. Oh also they dont tell you they are having problems w/ mobo that supports conroe, and a conroe/mobo combo will cost in the $500 range.

My Opteron cost about $500 w/ mobo retail and a decent dual core AM2 surely will too so I really don't see price as a problem.

As for the other stuff, are there really problems with the mobos or is it just typical house cleaning stuff for a new platform?

Not to put down AMD, I'd just like to know since its been brought up.

If you are building new and don't have DDR, AGP cards or 939 chips laying around and start with AM2. DDR2 is a step up from DDR in speed and the way the memory is configured. If you have descent 939 stuff already then AM2 won't get you much more than shiny new toys. Don't get me wrong, it's where we are going next. With 3 939 systems already, I'm fighting the itch to play with AM2 but holding off for the Opties and possible multicore options.

{BC}Helix said:
I would prefer to stay with AMD, bit of a fan-boy you see... If I do go with AM2, which it seems the current favor is in, I still need to decide on a chip, RAM and a board. I'm leaning towards dual core if I can afford it, and the Asus board and several of the Epox ones look good. What is the general feeling about AM2 boards since they're still young? DDR2 is still somewhat of a mystery for me.

I would get a decent board and memory, but hold off buying a high end chip for the moment. AMD is going to be introducing some new chips soon, so I'd leave some money in the bank for those CPU's once they come out.
It's all up to you.

dan

Go with a decent Sempron for now maybe a 3400+ it's decent and not too expensive then you can sell it and get a high powered one later when the 65mn comes.

When is 65nm coming to AM2 anyways?

Hey guys, pretty new here. but i've learnt lots of stuff. :)

I've also got a old socket A chip, and will be moving to either conroa or AM2.

Will the 65nm AM2's still work on current AM2 boards? Probably just gonna need bios update.

thinking of getting msi k9n series board, but i've headr some scary stories of msi boards.

ochungry said:

What is socket G? Is it Intel's new socket?
I would not build a new pc without a dual core processor.The AM2 has only one available so far which is the FX62 . I found it at Tiger Direct for $1199.
I found more choices at New egg , but they were all single core.The best one they have so far is the 3800 for $286. Look at the specs it is only single core unlike the socket939 version which is dual core.
I have also heard rumors about mid 2007 AMD making a quadcore processor.

ericcase said:
What is socket G? Is it Intel's new socket?
I would not build a new pc without a dual core processor.The AM2 has only one available so far which is the FX62 . I found it at Tiger Direct for $1199.
I found more choices at New egg , but they were all single core.The best one they have so far is the 3800 for $286. Look at the specs it is only single core unlike the socket939 version which is dual core.
I have also heard rumors about mid 2007 AMD making a quadcore processor.

I think OChungry meant the Rev.G chips, which will be k8 on 65nm with a possibly tweaked architecture.

The FX62 is NOT the only DC chip for AM2. There is are chips ranging from 3800-

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merc...e=M&Product_Code=120994&AFFIL=pricewatch&NR=1

dan

AM2 hands down. It's CPU pricing and selection are amazing, as well as DDR2 being cheaper than DDR, and better performing.

dem0lish3r said:
Hey guys, pretty new here. but i've learnt lots of stuff. :)

I've also got a old socket A chip, and will be moving to either conroa or AM2.

Will the 65nm AM2's still work on current AM2 boards? Probably just gonna need bios update.

thinking of getting msi k9n series board, but i've headr some scary stories of msi boards.
:welcome:
Yes the 65s will plug into the AM2s. It's a toss up whether a BIOS will need updating. All the AM2 series will be designed to work in that socket and MOBOs are supposed to be ready per AMDs specs. Going to 65nm will not affect the socket what may happen is if AMD releases 4 core chips for AM2 some MOBOs will need a BIOS flash.

:banghead: This is where the problem will hit for Windows. Current windows XP Pro and 2000 Pro are only setup for 2 processors, will the os see these 4 cores as 4 procs?

jcw122 said:
AM2 hands down. It's CPU pricing and selection are amazing, as well as DDR2 being cheaper than DDR, and better performing.
:attn:
This is what people need to hear. By the time intel releases that "C" chip, AMD will be releasing some (Y) kicking chips in the 65nm. I still use my P4 for internet and stuff but all my newer machines are AMD based. Opterons, Sandy, Winny and an XP I loaned to Harlam since my MSI mobo crapped. I'm looking toward 2007 for the 4 core procs with a possible Sempy purchase for kicks.

Back