• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

opt 165 back to opt 146

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bumsquad

So i was bored last night and decided to switch out the dualcore cpu for my opt 146, but the thing was, when i got it back together and set it at 270x10 it kept rebooting, this used to b a ALWAYS 100% stable setting, all my settings were the same, and i didn't know why, so i kept fiddling until i decided to try 300x9, which worked perfectly like b4.

So, my question is, did using opt 165 and the 9x multiplier some how cause me to become unstable using the 10x multiplier? this obviously has no effect on the cpus themselves, so it has to b either my motherboard or my memory. I'm thinking some how it became more accustomed to 9x multiplier, which makes no sense, but i guess its true anyway. So is there anyway to fix this?

any ideas? this is really starting to tick me off, even a 9x multiplier isn't stable anymore. WTG happened?

Last edited:
i found this problem before. My only solution was to literally pull everything out of the case and put it all back together. Then she ran quick and stable (on even lower voltages than before i did it too).

Unforunatly its stuffed out on me again(due to heatsink probs). I don't have the hart to pull it all out again! Anyway it might be worth a try....

hmm ic. i might try that, i already tried reseating the heatsink. and same unstability.... i tried running blend cpu and ram and it fails within a minute, and i tried running cpu only and it reboots... wat could the problem b?

i ended up just giving up. i don't have time to screw around trying to find stable settings again, finals week is coming right up. I'll have to switch back to DC until then. btw i ran cpu and ram blend test and it works fine for dc.... FFFFFFFF'IN 165, f'ed up my beautiful stability

man i'm so mad right now....

Last edited:
alright now this is just plain weird... I was playing bf2 on the 165, and it just rebooted, thats never happened b4. now it seems the symptoms of watever is wrong has passed onto the DC as well..... iono wtg i did, but watever it is, it doesn't look like it has anything to do w/ the cpu at all. it started when i replaced the 165 w/ the 146, so it must have something to do w/ how i mounted the hs? i never touched anything else. but the temps are fine... so what else could it b?! man... looks like no more comp for me b4 finals...

tried removing the motherboard and all that, but stability problems still.... i'm running outta ideas... and i've tried a buncha different new settings! even the old old settings i had when i first ran my ram at 280mhz.

Alright i think i found out whats the problem, my memory is acting up. i ran memtest for like 5% and it gave an error at 270x10 the thing is i'm running 300x10 now on 1:1 same divider and its working fine... any ideas why memory would like to b clocked higher? the problem is i can't run it this high cuz 300x10 is cpu unstable due to temps.

Last edited:
you pulled a 165 out of a system and slapped in a 146 and you think all will be well ??? do a fresh install and get back to us.

I have switched out my 165 for a 146 and used the same install. It worked perfectly fine. I think his problem lies elsewhere.

Have you tried running the ram on a steeper divider or looser timings?

Rattle said:
you pulled a 165 out of a system and slapped in a 146 and you think all will be well ??? do a fresh install and get back to us.

yep i do think all will b well, because it is well. problems my ram. lowered it to 224mhz and it works fine. i mean its a whole lot slower, than 300mhz, but at least it doesn't reboot on me randomly. i'll try to oc again during the summer when i have time. finals in 3 days.

ya sucks now though. i'm running 2.9ghz 240mhz on memory!!! NOOO! but at least its tighter timings 5:3:3:2.5, not that i can even tell the difference playing bf2 or doing anything anyway P_P

Back