• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tubing Q.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Enzf1

Hi, well ive almost finished getting all my wc parts in:
D5 pump
Aquaxtreme MP-05 SP LE
BIP2
Swif. MCRES
Swif. Hydrx
Clamps, misc.

On tubing, I was first looking at getting 10ft. of tygon. But after checking out the prices its gonna end up costing a small fortune, and my dad really doesnt want me spending any more if not neccesary. So my question is, what is the next best thing after Tygon? I need 1/2id 3/4od. And yes ive heard of masterkleer but I would prefer to keep that one out.

I was thinking clearflex60 or primoflex? Im not worried about kinking, but i am worried about tubing leaking.

why don't you want masterkleer? In my opinion it is the best option, and for me it is the only option since it's 10% the cost of tygon.

I've heard that the primoflex is excellent tubing, though I've never tried it out for myself.
Masterkleer is a good choice also, expecially for the price.

Really, you don't have to worry about the tubing leaking, it's the fittings and joints that can cause problems. Since a watercooling system has very little pressure to it, most every tubing I can think of can handle it with strength to spare.

I personally use the cheap and handy generic stuff off the shelf at Home Depot. My system doesn't need worry about kinks and such because of the gentle tube routing.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Ive heard good things about masterkleer but I just dont want the hassle of the 7/16 tubing, I might go with it later on but for now I would like to keep it as simple as possible.
Ok so primoflex it is.

And one last Q., Will it be a problem if lets say I mix tubing? Of the same size but different brands in the future? Like Tygon and primo?

shouldn't be a problem at all. Probably a good idea to use the tygon sparingly on only the tight bends.

i'm pretty sure there's 1/2" ID masterkleer too, let me check.
EDIT: yep, $0.61 per Ft. @ mcmaster.

Last edited:
I've used Tygon R3603, Clearflex 60, and now Masterkleer, all 1/2" ID 3/4"OD. Tygon is very nice as far as flexibility goes and stretching over barbs and such, but I don't know any more that I personally would spend the money on it. I was very dissatisfied with Clearflex just due to the fact that the tubing clouds up so quickly. Masterkleer is stiffer and a little harder to work with as far as stretching over barbs, but all in all for the money I am pleased with it. Also it doesn't cloud up nearly as easily as tygon R3603 or especially clearflex60. If you are looking to save some money, order the Masterkleer from mcmaster. 1/2"ID 3/4"OD tubing is not going to leak PERIOD. As was said previously, leaks are not from the tubing but from the fittings and connections.

Clearflex 60 has always been good to me, but why hydrx, I prefer a shot glass full of anti-freeze or non-corrosive bleach.

I'm using 1/2" ID 3/4" OD clearflex60 which i got free with my other stuff... If i was to buy tubing I'd buy MasterKleer from McMaster-Carr for $.38

You can't go wrong with Clearflex 60 or Masterkleer if your trying to save money, they both will work just fine. Also, you shouldn't worry about fitting the 7/16" over the barbs, just use some boiling water and they will slide right on.

Wow once again thanks for all the help.

Seeing all the great feedback on masterkleer and how they have a 1/2id 3/4od, it seems masterkleer is the clear ;) choice.
Seeing as they have 1/2, why do so many people I see still use the 7/16 on their 1/2' barbs? Is there a benefit from having thinner tubing? Srry, still a wc n00b.

It doesn't effect the flow rate enough to notice, it looks nicer, bends easier and has less chance of leaking at the connections since it is tighter. As I said a little bit of boiling water will make them fit right over your barbs so that isn't a worry.

you can use 1/2" but you'll be happier with 7/16". cathar did a review on it and recommends it. I'd suggest buying 10ft of both 1/2" and 7/16". then you can decide for yourself. I'll never go back to 1/2" myself. It's too hard to route, too big and bulky, etc.

Oh i see now, cool, thanks!

And great idea vballcoach, I think since its so cheap i will go ahead and get both , do a lil experimenting ;). And 10ft. is sufficient for my setup yes?

Enzf1 said:
Oh i see now, cool, thanks!

And great idea vballcoach, I think since its so cheap i will go ahead and get both , do a lil experimenting ;). And 10ft. is sufficient for my setup yes?

10ft is plenty for any NORMAL setups, i'd assume... I know i got around 5.5ft of clearflex 60 (with some extra odds and ends) with my order, and i still have around a good foot left after completing my WC setup.

primoflex cost the same if not more than tygon I'm pretty sure. It's nice, but I'm not sure it's worth what I paid for it. I've never used MasterKleer but I've never heard anything that bad about it. And a lot of people use it. So that is probsbly your best bet for the buck.

I have seen in both clearflex and Musterkleer kinking inwhich you have to use tie downs to make the tube round again. Cheaper isn't always better.

Clearflex has a tendency to kink
Musterkleer has a tendency to flaten out over time. Making the tub rectanglar more so then oval. This will reduce water flow, creating more heat.

This is why I prefer Tygon. As one already posted Tygon is a bit more flexible then most. And, it doesn't kink at all for me.

Well ya good point, but for the price of this thing i can easily replace it every few or so months :D. But ya im new to wc so i will definately try out tygon once well I get some more money. I had to give my allowance for 3 months just to pay for wc :santa: .

Sigh..and no telling about conroe :bang head .

ECH said:
I have seen in both clearflex and Musterkleer kinking inwhich you have to use tie downs to make the tube round again. Cheaper isn't always better.

Clearflex has a tendency to kink
Musterkleer has a tendency to flaten out over time. Making the tub rectanglar more so then oval. This will reduce water flow, creating more heat.

have had my masterkleer in my loop for 3 yrs and it hasn't 'flattened' out yet.
any and all tubing can kink it just depends on how tight of a bend you want to put on it..hence the bend radius specs. I've used clearflex and masterkleer and haven't seen any difference between them. I've never used Tygon so I don't know but according to users and mcmasters published specs, it's bend radius is the best...but the cost is much greater than the other 2.

the bend from cpu to gpu can be pretty tight and if you're using 1/2"x3/4"x1/8"[IDxODxWall thickness] then you have more of a chance to kink when you use bigger hose. That's why I like 7/16" ID. It has the benefits of a tighter bend radius than 1/2" from the same manuf with neglible flow restrictions.

some people may like to use the 'coolwraps' and such, also. I don't like them myself. :)

Back