• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HOLY **** MY MOBO's ON FIRE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ALiEN2953

No I'm not kidding. I left my computer on last night and when i came back this morning it was off so I turned it on and the thing under the bottom 3 of the little heatsinks to the right of the CPU just lit on FIRE:mad: ...WTF I got this mobo (DFI NF4 ultra-d) like 2 weeks ago. I'm not really sure if the problems in the power supply (Antec Smartpower 2.0 500w) or my mobo, so I have no clue what to RMA. I'm defedently RMAing the mobo because even if it was the PSU that was busted once my mobo starts burning I'm pretty sure its gone too. Is there any way to check weither or not my PSU if F***ed up too?

Whoah man. Tough break. I fried a motherboard once because I kept trying to run it with a CPU that was actually not in all the way. A similar thing happened. A tiny resistor or something next to the cpu socket (I think one of those little 2x1mm rectangles) started spitting a baseball sized flame which sounded like a hissing/burning noise... now... nothing like that happened while the CPU wasn't in all the way. After unsuccessfully trying to get a post a few times, then I noticed, and got it all the way in, which lead to a successful post... which a few seconds after lead to the flame.

i was trying turning it on without various power connectors and it sorta boots up without the 4 pin square connector to the mother board the computer starts up fine cep he screen doesn't turn on.

does it matter who I RMA my mobo to newegg or DFI?

i was thinking maybe DFI would just fix it but newegg would give me a totally new one, which would be good considering this one can only do 280mhz fsb

I don't have any RMA experience but what i can say is if you saw fire, its dead =p

edit: When my mobo shot flames, it turned out that none of the other parts were damaged (except maybe the cpu, but never found out about that because got a board for a dif cpu). Still, not sure about PSU.. I think PSU's can actually "age" every time you do somethnig crazy with one. I've seen a good PSU go bad -_-

Back