• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BSD or Linux?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
It is summer and I have time now to learn a new OS. I just read the post about how BSD is better than Linux. Now I wonder what OS I should learn. I used Mepis before, until hard drive problems and I formated everything. So now I want to know what OS you guys think I should learn. Its going to be a desktop enviroment. Also can I fold under BSD? I do not really have enough room on my 60 gig hard drive to install both OS's atm.

For a desktop, a Linux.

And: you won't be able "to learn a new OS" in one short summer, Maybe if it's Sinclair ZX80, then it could work.

Linux or BSD?

Ignore all the discussions you've read so far.

Install either. The differences are there, but the similarities are as well. Disregard the fancy desktop environments. They are almost always tripe. Sure, they've gotten better over the years, but nothing is as neat and clean as Windows or OSX. I could go on and on about this, but I will spare you.

Instead of focusing on the negatives, I suggest learning the command line. In the swirling sea of beta distros and DEs; it will be your rock. Learn to pipe commands, script, change permissions, archive, and edit configs with a basic CLI editor. If you can do those things, it doesn't matter which *nix you choose. After that, you won't need to ask which to choose. You'll know enough to decide for yourself.

Pick something with a great support community, like Gentoo, Ubuntu/Kubuntu, etc. FreeBSD is good, but it is a bit harder to find support for, as it isn't terribly popular for newbies.

If you know someone who uses Linux or BSD, then use what they use. Not only will they be able to help you out when you have a problem, but you can also trade tips & tricks. Of course, they may get sick of you asking them about every little thing, but if you mess it up real bad, you can always get a bit of help from him about that.

SU Root offers wise words of wisdom and good honest advice, I would go with what he suggests

Shelnutt2 said:
It is summer and I have time now to learn a new OS. I just read the post about how BSD is better than Linux. Now I wonder what OS I should learn. I used Mepis before, until hard drive problems and I formated everything. So now I want to know what OS you guys think I should learn. Its going to be a desktop enviroment. Also can I fold under BSD? I do not really have enough room on my 60 gig hard drive to install both OS's atm.

You desire a desktop environment, so I'd recommend Linux; more-specifically, Ubuntu. Ubuntu will send you the CDs for free, so within the next four or so weeks (until you get them, unless you burn them yourself), you can spend that valuable time learning the command line. And then, once you are comfortable with Ubuntu, you can move onto another distribution, or even look into BSD then.

Ubuntu Linux:

Learning the Command Line:

BSD vs. Linux vs. Windows 2000: (The link might seem biased, but you need to look at what components you want, and which operating system has it.)

Good links, tspier2. Learning the command line is of the utmost importance.

Thank you guys.

I think I will start with Ubuntu and learn the command line. I can see from everything that the command line is the heart of and *nix operating system.

Thanks for the links tspier2.

Back