• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which wireless router to get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

termin@tor

I am in the market for a new wireless router, since my cheap (wired) D-Link just doesn't cut it anymore and gets disconnected constantly.

I may not be using the wireless capability for a while, but I sure want that to be avaliable because I want my friends to be able to connect whenever they bring their laptops. There's also a slight chance that I may be getting a laptop in some time. Currently, there will be 2 desktop computers connected to the router, but I may add another one pretty soon. I have a cable connection.

I am looking for something secure and very reliable. Don't want to be replacing it in a few months... I don't want it to be overly expensive either. Trying to keep it around $50-60, but if something more expensive is worth noticing, I may consider it.

Any suggestions?

Normally I wouldn't reccomend another D-Link, but a buddy says his new D-Link gaming router works great. Easy to use and never goes down.

Personally I'd get a Linksys router. The 'L' model so you can use 3rd-party firmware. That's where I'd put my money.

The linksys WRT54G is a great router. Yes, get the Linux (L) too. These suckers are great. I've owned 2 2.2s, a 3.0, and a 1.0 I think. They all rocked.

I went ahead and ordered the WRT54GL. I like how you can use aftermarket firmware. I really want to learn more about home networking and this is the router to do it with :beer:

By the way, the dd-wrt site is down, does anyone know what's up or an alternative source for the dd wrt firmware?

Back