• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AM2 Power consumption

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cheator

I am wondering if AM2 has less power consumption than s939. Thinking of moving over to it since I am having a bit of trouble with the hardware combination I got going.

Edit: sorry, to clarify I am wondering about lower wattages, lower amperage requirements, etc.

Yes, AM2 has lower power requirements and runs at a lower default voltage, though the difference isn't phenomenal.

dont waste your money if your having power issues just get a bigger power supply. .1-.2 one volt will not make a difference in power that much either

Well the issue is the startup draw. IT draws too much with any more than a 200 mhz overclick and doesn't post. I mean, does DDR2 not draw less electricity? However you are right, it would be a good idea to get a better psu.

White_Pawn said:
the AM2 with the 35Watt x2 3800+ saves energy but thats revision G and it hasn't come out yet.
Rev G?, no. The 35 watts series are F2 stepping and are 90nm's and should see them soon. Rev G's are 65nm's if I read it right. those series will hit the market the end of this year. Not sure if they are K8 AM2 socket as a stop gap before full conversion to K8L. But those are all K8's, F2 stepping that come in 89w, 65w, and 35w. The 35w has a TcaseMax of 78c compare to 72c on the 65w and 70c on the 89w. should be a great overclocker.

X2 3800+ 35W (ADD3800IAT5CU) stock voltage 1.025V/1.075V - on Rev.F 90nm. :)
I've been eyeing retailers for these procs, but spotted none yet. Anyone seen one?

It's a true wonder what AMD has been able to squeeze out of their 90nm process. I wonder what 65nm will be able to do at even lower voltages, the new generation SiGe sSOI and Rev.G...

largon said:
I've been eyeing retailers for these procs, but spotted none yet. Anyone seen one?

It's a true wonder what AMD has been able to squeeze out of their 90nm process. I wonder what 65nm will be able to do at even lower voltages, the new generation SiGe sSOI and Rev.G...
they should be out soon.
I think it is a great overclocker, to 3ghz would be >FX62.
TH has a new review on Conroe E6700 (2.66ghz) and it appears that synthetic benchmarks is conroe's specialty, but not much better than FX62 in game benchmarks. The FX was single vid card also- no one is comparing both in SLI mode, I wonder why? could it be that conroe should lose if SLI is the name of the game? I bet it is. Any way, get ready we would think this 3800 x2 overclocked to 3ghz and in SLI mode will and should beat any conroe setup, no matter what speed or how high it's overclcoked. SLI plays a great role for gamers and AMD will be the choice. The Nvedia 590 board with a 3800 x2 (35w) cost only ~$500. Overclock it and use SLI, wow, watch out. Further more, those who play games in group will appreciate the dual ethernet function of nvedia's 590/570, playing through internet or intranet.

Cheator said:
Well the issue is the startup draw. IT draws too much with any more than a 200 mhz overclick and doesn't post. I mean, does DDR2 not draw less electricity? However you are right, it would be a good idea to get a better psu.

I have trouble believing that your PSU couldn't handle a 200mhz overclock, unless it is defective.

DDR2 runs nominally at 1.8v, as opposed to 2.5v (or higher) for DDR. However, you aren't saving a whole lot of power from DDR2 vs DDR.

well thats the only reasonable explanation. When i overclock past that sometimes my board doesn't post (about 3/4 of the time) and it SEEMS to be a power draw. I assumed it was because of my x850 xt pe, my hard drive, etc, and the psu only being 19 a per rail.

Know Nuttin said:
I have trouble believing that your PSU couldn't handle a 200mhz overclock, unless it is defective.

DDR2 runs nominally at 1.8v, as opposed to 2.5v (or higher) for DDR. However, you aren't saving a whole lot of power from DDR2 vs DDR.
i'd have to agree. my Tagan U-22 480 handles a 700 mhz oc on my 170 no prob

along with an 1800xt, 2 x 1024 g. skill, audigy 2 platinum ex, 3 hard drives, 2 opticals, and 5 case fans so i would see something else as the prob

largon said:
That's interesting, I wonder if the lower voltage chips will OC better and when the chips are avail.

ochungry said:
they should be out soon.
I think it is a great overclocker, to 3ghz would be >FX62.
TH has a new review on Conroe E6700 (2.66ghz) and it appears that synthetic benchmarks is conroe's specialty, but not much better than FX62 in game benchmarks. The FX was single vid card also- no one is comparing both in SLI mode, I wonder why? could it be that conroe should lose if SLI is the name of the game? I bet it is. Any way, get ready we would think this 3800 x2 overclocked to 3ghz and in SLI mode will and should beat any conroe setup, no matter what speed or how high it's overclcoked. SLI plays a great role for gamers and AMD will be the choice. The Nvedia 590 board with a 3800 x2 (35w) cost only ~$500. Overclock it and use SLI, wow, watch out. Further more, those who play games in group will appreciate the dual ethernet function of nvedia's 590/570, playing through internet or intranet.
I think the reason why there isn't a sli comparison is because the intel chipset does not support sli, and the review kits are sent from Intel and I don't think they are likely to send a competitor chipset with their new cpu.

See its gota be the PSU. I ran stable at 2295 mhz (255 * 9) and ram at 1:1. I just used clockgen and sp2004, worked like a charm 15 hours stable I think. Its simply that startup draw I think.

Back