• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Maybe Problem with 7800gt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yuri_Svenson

Registered
Hello. I have had my 7800gt overclocked .2 mghz for a while. On a recent night, my power supply got really hot, maybe because of the hot weather, i dunno. But all of a sudden my motior started to become fubar.

My monitor had small green dots everywhere. They were about a pixel large, and would cover a certain shade of color. As time progressed in the night, the pixels started to cover more colors and more of the screen. It began to affect my games and stuff.

I tried both ports on my card, but both of them showed the same problem. I tried turning my monitor on and off and reinstalled video drivers. That didnt work either. I tried blowing any crap off the card/slot, but no luck. Finally i just turned my comp off and walked away for about 2 hours. When i came back and turned my comp on, it was fine.

I felt the back of the PSU and it was cool again. Right now i have an 80 mm fan from my case blowing on my card, and it seems to be working... Could it be a heat issue, or is my card finally dying?

Thanks for any help!

I'd put my money on PSU problems. I installed a 6800GT on a friend's system once, and it had funky green dots everywhere in windows, and then green lines in anything 3D - we RMA'd the card, and when we recieved the new one, same thing happened.
Eventually, we tracked the problem down to insufficient power. His little 420W el' cheapo PSU couldn't cut it. We installed a 500W OCZ and all was well.
PC P&C certainly makes a quality PSU, and 510W "should" be plenty of power - it's not a huge amount, but "should" be just enough.. How old is it? Try doign something to heat the PSU up (suffocate it slightly or something) and see if it happens again. An overheated PSU can definately cause problems. Just dont let it get too terribly hot. Do you have another PSU to try? Or another system? What kind of temps are you getting with that card? What brand 7800GT is it? I own an eVGA 7800GT CO (stock 470/1100) and it never gets hotter than 60°C, even on hot days. As long as it doesnt cross 75°C - it shouldnt be a problem. What are your clock speeds exactly? I would run the card (and the rest of the system for that matter) at stock speeds until I was sure I wasnt running something too hot.

i have the pc p&c 510W. It is about a month old. I do have my psu that came with my case, but that is only a crappy 400W. I do have a dell that i could use... I am getting only 51C stable, its a BFG, im not sure what the exact clocks are, but i know it is overclocked about 0.2mgz.

I did try to put it into the dell, but there was no problem, and i tried a different monitor, but dat didnt work...

It only started recently when the weather heated up, i dunno if that is it or if its just special...

Back