• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anything special to do to flush cooling parts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silmatharien

My waterblock doesn't come apart so I can't clean it that way - I notice residue on the inside of the barbs. My video card block comes apart but I'm hesitant to take it apart because I'm scared it will break the seal. I'm just wondering about a good way to clean out my parts before I stick them into my new computer.

Thanks.

Silmatharien said:
My waterblock doesn't come apart so I can't clean it that way - I notice residue on the inside of the barbs. My video card block comes apart but I'm hesitant to take it apart because I'm scared it will break the seal. I'm just wondering about a good way to clean out my parts before I stick them into my new computer.

Thanks.

As long as you tighten it back up well, it won't break any seal.

Flush the blocks with vinegar, followed by pure distilled.

If I'm not mistaken don't they usually use O-rings? Just use some good lube on the O-ring (I use BOSS pool and spa 820 lube, it's a silicone lubricant compound, can probably be found at your local pool store) and it will seal up nice and leak proof, I did it on all my blocks and my DD-D5 pump, the o-ring on the pump was just dried out when i got it (stupid arizona heat) so i lubed it up, good as new.

I usually flush radiator with vinegar and reflush it with water. For block I just run water through so there is nothing stuck in it.

do you just leave the vinegar in there for awhile or how long do you usually do it for?

I usually leave it in there for several hours. I don't know if I would leave it in overnight or anything. 4-6 hours should be more than enough. Make sure your rinse the hell out of it.

the vinegar is working like a charm, even after only an hour of being in there. thanks for the suggestion guys.

Back