• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AS5 on the heasink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rydis

Since the cores of opterons anre larger, and its hard to guesstimate how much is needed to fully cover the HS when you place it on the CPU, is it just as fine to apply it to the HS then to the core? Will it have any negative effects, or will it essential be the same thing.

Every time I try to do what the website says, I always put to much or to little and ive used up 2 small tubes of AS5 already.

Right. Just apply on the heatsink with plastic on your finger, wipe it with a lint-free cloth. After you do that the heatsink should kinda look like it's greasy where you did that. Then put a small amount on the processor, right in the middle, per the instructions, put heatsink on, rotate (45 degrees?I think) and you're good to go. The directions are kinda wierd, but it's the best way to do it. Just don't spread it with your finger, or taste it. :D

cw823 said:
Right. Just apply on the heatsink with plastic on your finger, wipe it with a lint-free cloth. After you do that the heatsink should kinda look like it's greasy where you did that. Then put a small amount on the processor, right in the middle, per the instructions, put heatsink on, rotate (45 degrees?I think) and you're good to go. The directions are kinda wierd, but it's the best way to do it. Just don't spread it with your finger, or taste it. :D
Also,warm the parts before applying, and use coffe filters (they're lint free) for cleaning. Rydis, you did read this? http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Yes, those were the instructions I was following, however every time I tried to put the HS on (a zalman) I smeared everywere and skipped parts where it should be. So Ill apply it to the HS itself and see if that works ok. I just didnt' know if applying to the HS would be any different then applying to the core.

Simply putting a drop of AS5 in the middle of the heatspreader, and letting the force of the heatsink spread it, is all you need. Using more AS5 than you have to (IE, putting it both on the core and the heatsink) will raise temperatures (Which is bad mmkay). You want the least amount of AS5 possible, and still be able to cover the entire heatspreader.

Since you can't actually see the distribution of AS5 on the heatspreader because the heatsink is on top of it, just check CPU temperatures. If they're higher than they were before, you may want to try it again.

Will try that then. However, I havn't turned this build on yet, so can't do that. Thanks for the clairification

Rydis said:
Yes, those were the instructions I was following, however every time I tried to put the HS on (a zalman) I smeared everywere and skipped parts where it should be. So Ill apply it to the HS itself and see if that works ok. I just didnt' know if applying to the HS would be any different then applying to the core.
As for thickness, here's a chard. It's a diferent TIM, but you get the idea. The average human hair is about 8 mills. For lapped components I have had success with just a "haze" on both parts. For non-lapped parts you may want to check for flatness with a straight edge (look for light bleed between the ruler and the part). This will help give you an idea of the TIM thickness you need.

Attachments

• TIM Thickness.jpg
    TIM Thickness.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 80
IWasHungry said:
Simply putting a drop of AS5 in the middle of the heatspreader, and letting the force of the heatsink spread it, is all you need. Using more AS5 than you have to (IE, putting it both on the core and the heatsink) will raise temperatures (Which is bad mmkay). You want the least amount of AS5 possible, and still be able to cover the entire heatspreader.

Since you can't actually see the distribution of AS5 on the heatspreader because the heatsink is on top of it, just check CPU temperatures. If they're higher than they were before, you may want to try it again.

No, you do not need it to cover the entire heatspreader. Only the area above the core.

BB sized at max is all you need.

I add just a teeny-tiny dab and spread it as thinly as possible so that it covers the core. If I find that I can't cover the core, I might add a speck more... but that's my goal, cover the core as thinly as possible.

I've had the same 3.5 gram tube of AS5 for years now and it's lasted me through several CPUs and GPUs. I wonder if this stuff ever expires? /shrug

sno.lcn said:
It doesn't taste too bad but I've had better:rolleyes:

Gosh dangit sno... 1st instruction from Arctic Silver is - "Don't put it in your mouth" :D

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm <- see the last photo in the instructions from Arctic Silver, that's the kind of coverage they recommend.

harlam_santa.gif

MitchV said:
I add just a teeny-tiny dab and spread it as thinly as possible so that it covers the core. If I find that I can't cover the core, I might add a speck more... but that's my goal, cover the core as thinly as possible.

I've had the same 3.5 gram tube of AS5 for years now and it's lasted me through several CPUs and GPUs. I wonder if this stuff ever expires? /shrug

Over an open-die or an IHS?

IHS = dab
core = spread.

Back