• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7900GT Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arca_ex

Alright, I have the eVGA 7900GT CO Superclocked edition, and I was only able to go from the factory o/c (550/1550) up to 578/1628, I need to know how I can make it go higher without artifacting, because cooling is not an issue (30C idle 35C load). In BIOS there is an option that says "PCI-Express Mhz" it is currently set to 110, if I increases this, would I get higher stable overclocks?
I already read the stickies and came up with nothing, and right now the search function is not working for me at the moment.
Volt-modding is not an option right now.

TIA,
Arca_ex

Last edited:
I think the PCI-E speed is just for stability, sometimes it can increase your OC as well. Try all of the settings 100-110. I hear people having decent luck with 104-105.

I have the same vid card as you, I've been hearing about alot of dying cards, so if you start having artifacts on stock freq's make sure you didn't modify anything else.

btw a volt mod should get you an insane OC. (from what I've read).

Damn 35c load? Did i read that right? I use to have a 7800gt (i know they are differant cores, and the 7900gt core is smaller in size), but i was loading around 60c wiht a zalmans vf700cu cooler. If thats right, i am shocked at how cool they run! :beer:

No kidding. I have your old 7800GT, and I'm hitting 65c with a mild oc. 35c load is incredible.
I have seen a ton of posts about dying 7900's as well. I think your right about not volt modding right now. It seems too risky given the nature of the card.

Well I have one of the first EVGA's that came out and I've never had a problem and mine is volt modded. Although I never overclocked on the stock cooler. Mine used to run @55-60C at full load with the stock cooler. I modded a NV silencer and now my load temps never go over 50 degrees. Mind you I used the stock cooler in the winter time now it's summer. In the winter my temps were no more than 45C. And that is @650/1800.

Well 578 sounds about right on par with what alot of other people including myself are getting with the 7900GT at stock settings. Artifacting usually comes from haveing the memory too high. But I have had my memory up to 1800Mhz with no issues.

Well, I have some pretty good cooling, and the DD NV-78 sure does the job well, I love full face blocks. But anyway, CoolBits doesn't allow me to go over 1630 with my memory, and I start artifacting in that jungle night fairy thing scene in 3DMark '06 if i put the clocks up higher, I should look into volt modding after the step up option becomes unavailable, I still have 2 months to step up to a 7900GTX, but after all this money on the new comp I would think not...

Well, looks like a good time to study up on volt modding, so I can get some insane O/C, only thing is now, I think my PSU is holding my Pent D 920 at 3.5 Ghz, anything higher gets me a BSOD... btw CPU idle ~30 load ~35, in that ballpark.

Well from what I have read about the volt modding for the 7900GT, if you do it right you can clean it up and they would never know it was voltmodded.

Uhh, how do I take screenshots, I want to show my temps, O/C's and stuff like that.

NVM i got it

Last edited:
578 is one of the best stock voltage clocks i've seen most go to 550 or so. That is for the vanilla and CO. I've read that some of the KO's are coming 1.3V and hit 600mhz. I do know that on 1.4V my card will hit 695/1850 max benchable. At 1.5-1.55V I've seen peole get 700+ but those voltages aren't safe on air.

Ah, can't post the screenies, they are too big for photobucket and it resizes them to like 380xsomething. But my GPU was at 31 and my CPU was at 29 just a couple seconds ago, and cooling shouldnt be a problem, i bet i could go for around 700, because OC'ed on stock voltages w/ no mods i have 31 c idle and around 35 load

Well temp is one thing but the GPU is limited by voltage. That is the big difference between the GTX and the GT. There the same core they just crippled the voltage from 1.4V to 1.2V on the GT.

Card just started artifacting like no tomorrow and BSOD during Battle of Proxycon in 3DMark '03 running at stock speeds.

Anyone know if I need the stock cooler on to RMA it?

Arca_ex said:
Card just started artifacting like no tomorrow and BSOD during Battle of Proxycon in 3DMark '03 running at stock speeds.

Anyone know if I need the stock cooler on to RMA it?

You said you think your PSU is hindering you with your CPU so why not your GPU? Modern video cards draw a lot of amperage and if your PSU is straining to keep up with your power demands maybe you should try out a better one? If you RMA the card and still have problems you will know for sure obviously. To get a respectable overclock with a 7900 series card you'll want to do a volt mod, preferrably with a conductive pen (non permanant). I have done a 0.35 volt mod and I can get 700+ MHz on my 7900GT. I'm using a Zalman vf900cu cooler and I'm getting 48-49 idle and 54-55 load for temperatures.

I was running at stock speeds and it still artifacts, it never had problems like this before and I haven't changed any settings on it besides the OC, but even after bringing it down to stock speeds I can't tell whether I'm looking at abstract art or a humvee...

here is where i settled for 24/7 use with my "fixed" 7900 GT KO the core is stable up to 665mhz and the ram is maxed at 1920mhz.
2d volts 1.2v
3d volts 1.45v (no its not modded at all)
7900gtoced.jpg

those temps are with the vf-900 fan running full speed. after 6 runs of DeepFreeze
swiftech ramsinks will not fit with vf-900 mounted.
on the stock cooler i was seeing idle temps @52c and load temps 88-89C peaking at 90C.
I only installed the vf-900 cause i was not happy about temp and did not want to risk it dieing and having rma agian.

You checked voltage at the GPU pot on the back of the board? 1.45V on a 7900GT is kind of strange? Also please check voltage on your ram I wonder if that has been bumped also? I wonder if they are all coming like that now? That would be awsome but they would lose so many sales on GTX's.

bignick said:
You checked voltage at the GPU pot on the back of the board? 1.45V on a 7900GT is kind of strange? Also please check voltage on your ram I wonder if that has been bumped also? I wonder if they are all coming like that now? That would be awsome but they would lose so many sales on GTX's.
no i used nibitor 2.9 , on the non fixed card 3d volts was 1.2v same as 2d. The thing about gtx those core are cherry picked, they oc farther then GT cores. Even with my vf-900 on the oc did not increase at all. 665mhz core if i raise it 5-10mhz more it starts to artifact.

Back