• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how i power a TEC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ALiEN2953

I was thinking about getting that Maze4 with a TEC for my HOT (90C) 7900gt and had 2 Questions:

1) How do I power the TEC?/Do i really need to buy one of thos 600w meanwell PSUs?

2) since I will be building my watercooling system up as i get money can i run the Maze 4 (TEC version) as a regualar gpu cooler until i get my TEC?

Thz

You need a power supply that can supply stable power at whatever the TEC will use. You can run the regular maze4T as a regular cooler, just unscrew the cold plate I beleive.

so if my regualar computer PSU can handle the added load I can connect it to it? mines only a 500w smartpower 2 so i probably won't be doing that.

ITs not the wattage of the PSU, its the amperage required on the 12v. Computer psu's are not a good idea unless you know how to sufficiently mod them.

could i wire 2 400w switching power supplies in series for 800w?

1) Series would add the votlages together
2) Parlell wont work without load distribution.

You cannot merge 12v rails normally in switching psu's.
And why do you need 400watts?

Maze4 fits 50mm tec's, the 437 is a 62mm and requires a custom wb most of the time. (unless u have a dominator like I used to have)
That means your limited to around 226 watts of movement, at 320 watt consumption.

they recomended the 80w so i figured it would fit 40mm but if its 50mm i could use the 245w and only need the 400w switching power supply. does that WB u had the dominator fit GPUs mainly the 7900gt?

No, I thought you meant cpu's.
Maze4gpu is 40mm only, that means a 24v 172 watt tec is possible. Please do some research about TEC safety.

Back