• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2D, 3D clocks? (X1800XT)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IWasHungry

Alrighty. Well I replaced my X1800XL 256MB with a X1800XT 512MB. As soon as I re-install Catalyst drivers, ATITool gives me some crap about 2D and 3D clocks needing to be the same. :confused:
I wasn't expecting anything to be different...since it's basically the same card just with a higher stock speed and more RAM. The X1800XL didn't have this 2D, 3D crapola.
How do I set 3D clocks and 2D clocks seperately...and how do I know what's 2D and what's 3D? There's only two clocks given; one for GPU and one for memory. There's no mention of 3D or 2D.

I tried installing ATI Tray Tool, just to see if the issue would be resolved. Well it won't even let me mess with the clocks. If I raise them and click Apply, the clocks go back to stock speeds. Then I noticed the message saying overclocking disabled in the same window, and I can't make it go away.

Why are there seperate clocks for 2D and 3D modes anyway? To conserve power?
I'm so clueless. :(

i think they use the 2d/3d thing to conserve power and run cooler. it slows and undervolts the card in 2d mode.

i just use 2 profiles. one at 2d settings 600/700
vgpu @1.275 mem v's both @ 2.09

and another for my 3d (overclocked) clocks and voltages and swithch between them as needed

You might want to read this first. It tells you how to disable 2D/3D auto detection.

After that, you can create a new profiles (2D and 3D) by clicking on "New" button on atitool. You can then apply the voltage settings to each profiles you created.

Oh I see, you want to disable 2D/3D differences. I assumed you had to create a 2D profile and a 3D profile.
I need to read the stickies...

Back