• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg domination

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

El<(')>Maxi

Blank Senior Member
I came across an interesting article while researching Computex events today. I knew they had grown over the last couple of years but I didn't realize what a powerhouse Newegg really is.

Here's some excerpts from the Computex article.

Within its first five years of operation, Newegg.com has reached approx. $1.3 billion in annual sales revenue. Newegg ranked 9th place among the US Top 400 Internet Retailer list published in 2005 and was awarded the Overall Best Place to Buy Online for the last three years running in Computer Shopper magazine by popular vote. "While revenue continues to soar, we continue gearing up for the next big challenge. As a result, we have allocated our product management team to two groups: IT (Information Technology) and CE (Consumer Electronics). We're expecting massive growth from our CE team." said Andy Chen, Vice President of Newegg.com and General Manager of Newegg's Global PM Center located in Taiwan.

Numerous Taiwan-based manufacturers have successfully broken sales records and built their brands through Newegg. A-Data, for example, a leading memory manufacturer, grew 400% in sales revenue over the past 12 months through a partnership with Newegg.

Founded in 2001, Newegg.com has more than five million registered customers and more than 1200 employees globally.

my soul belongs to newegg....and microsoft.....well, when the wife isnt controlling it.

Just five years old...wow. Nearly unbelieveable to think how much they've grown in that short period of time, and how much prestige they've garnered.

While I was living in Canada for a brief period two years ago, I found alot of online companies had trouble/would not ship(ping) there. But then again, having to pay the extra fees for stuff that was shipped from the US on sites that I could find that shipped there made me not want to order from this fine country called America.

I've spent a large number of $s there and have in general been quite happy. However, over the last several months I've had problems with a couple purchases that they now don't RMA. I'm 6 weeks on a Viewsonic monitor that has never worked and finally today Viewsonic had a replacement available. So it'll be 7 weeks to get a replacement (assuming the one I get does work).

Now I've recently heard Newegg will carry 2nd tier suppliers. If they don't service some of their first tier suppliers then what should we expect next?

When you don't provide problem resolution for your costumers then you may have grown too big.

I understand it is a balance between going more volume to make more dollars balanced against when a costumer's problem might cost you further business. Pure business and the statistics that evolve with this approach.

I will continue buying from Newegg, let's not get stupid here. However when the product support tells me to contact the manufacturer, I'm going to shop elsewhere too. Might as well give the competition business when its price is near to Newegg and it provides support too. After all, it is in my own self interest to have Newegg competitors. :cool:

Last edited:
I found the tour link a great overview of their operations. 1.3 Billion in 5 years is really a major accomplishment.

I understand that when Newegg started, there was much resistence from the manufactures in terms of overall support.

The RMA process, as it was explained to me by a friend who works for NewEgg is so complex when they return items to the manucaturer. Its actually easier for customers to deal with the manufacturers. But soon things are supposed to get better. Some manufacturers are actually recognizing the powerhouse NewEgg has become and are offering value added incentives and price leverage as well as expanded support.

I think most of us are loyal customers of NewEgg and have good things to say overall. There are sometimes glitches and problems that do occur.

What Iwould love them to do is have private sales for loyal customers or even a good freebee everynow and then.. Heck even a mousepad or cup.LOL..
But really a discount for customers who are frequent buyers... Like 2.5-10 percent off!!

Take for example Amazon's Prime program where all items are 2 day shipping for a yearly fee of $79. anything overnight is 3.99.. If NewEgg could do something similar. Even make exceptions for Big heavy items like cases and such...They could be creative and really when some hearts in its base of loyal customers like us..

deeppow said:
...over the last several months I've had problems with a couple purchases that they now don't RMA. I'm 6 weeks on a Viewsonic monitor that has never worked and finally today Viewsonic had a replacement available. So it'll be 7 weeks to get a replacement (assuming the one I get does work)....When you don't provide problem resolution for your costumers then you may have grown too big.

Just about every vendor I know of will provide RMA services for defective items within 30 days of purchase.

I'm not sure if it's related to size, but I just attempted to call New Egg to inquire regarding terms and alternative shiping options. After 20 minutes listening to thier insipid muzak, I spoke with a representative whose abjectly apathetic tone made it clear that I would get nowhere with him even before he told me to get lost. In contrast, Mwave answered the phone directly on the first ring and the knowledgeable rep gave me a URL for an application for terms along with a fax number as well as mentioning that they'd be happy to work with me regarding shipping.

I've read a bit of criticism of Mwave on these forums, but in the last two years after purchasing components for over 200 systems, I've never had a problem with them and have always gotten stellar customer support. I thought I'd give new egg one more shot, as having multiple sources is always a good thing, but now I'm done with their arrogance and posturing.

Newegg

Well my first order with them has been a total mess! I thought after all the positive comments they where worth trying! Not inpressed!!!:bang head

Back