• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with X-Fi?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brahmzy

So, I have an Audigy 2 now and it works great. But, I want to get the X-Fi, however I've read about problems with crackling and crap with these new cards. Should I stick with what I have?

Do any of you have problems in games with your X-Fi's?

My X-Fi doesn't do any crackling.....I Love it!

I never liked 3D gaming with headphones...but the 3D simulation that the Xfi does with headphones is amazing.

I've never had any issues with noise or crackling or anything like that.

i also dont have ne problems wiv my x-fi, seems like u ever get lucky and get one with no problems, or u get one wiv problems lol

Ya know...its kinda funny....I'e been having issues with games shutting down (pretty much just been playing oblivion. But I had an idea that sound might be the problem.....So I removed my Xfi and just went to the onboard....and Oblivion didn't crash once.

Here's something I saw someone write about this card...

I almost cryed when I first hooked it up. I turned on the speakers and it made a horrible crackling sound. I then realized that I put it too close to my video card and it was getting interference or something... I moved it and now its crystal clear

another user writes

I was able to solve the problem by lowering my PCI Latency setting in my BIOS

stockwiz said:

I almost cryed when I first hooked it up. I turned on the speakers and it made a horrible crackling sound. I then realized that I put it too close to my video card and it was getting interference or something... I moved it and now its crystal clear

another user writes

Sounds like something worth trying (although my problem isn't exactly crackling)
What's a safe PCI latency to set?

I have popping in SimCity 4. Bit annoyed, since I upgraded from Xtreme Music to Elite Pro, and ended up with a popper! Drives me mad. Haven't noticed it in any other games yet tho.

I can tell you one thing....while I've got my X-fi out, trying to figure out my problem......onboard sound compared to X-fi is like I can't even think of an analogy....it's just amazing how good the X-fi sounds to crap onboard. (I think I have good ole ac97 on this DFI)

There isn't an EQ setting in the world that can even make it sound remotely decent :( I've been trying for like an hour.

X-fi does seem to have it's problems....but the sound quality is just incredible. My PC went from sounding almost symphny like or something....to like listening through a tin can and a string.

I just learned the xfi's (& some audigy's) have asio drivers (very low latency). So far the only thing I can see is that foobar has an asio dll plugin & so will recognize the asio as an output device. Any device that can recognize asio drivers will allow you to get the best these cards have to offer (24bit/96khz monitoring/recording).
Woo- nice rig DDR-PIII

Well, I got HL2 Ep. 1 and started to play it on my onboard sound. I couldnt' stand the horrid-ness. So I put my X-fi back in. And it worked just fine. So, I'm not sure what was going on before, but it seems fine now....and boy did I miss it!

I get the crackling sound but found a way around it.
I switch off EAX or set it to minimum level...same thing...then I set the the program that is about to hammer the cpu priority to above normal...if it is not multithreaded then I just give it one core and above normal and that is.

I can play CSS...mute the sound...and watch a film/DVD with no problems.

One problem I do have is HD content. I downloaded a superman returns HD mov file. I get the crappy crackling sound regardless of what I try.
I know my PC can handle it...downloaded the same trailer in WMV HD version and it played fine...tried several other HD wmx files and they all played perfectly.

I dont think I could go back to anything other than an xfi though...[cat+whipped cream]

stockwiz said:

another user writes

That sounds like NEWs from some EGG site:D

BTW ...I get the horrible popping sounds it seems that happen when there is a constant sound playing(music, game sound[like the air moving], etc.)+something moving on the screen. However, if theres a constant sound+nothing moving on the screen I get the best audio experience ever.

stockwiz said:
I get the crackling sound but found a way around it.
I switch off EAX or set it to minimum level...same thing...then I set the the program that is about to hammer the cpu priority to above normal...if it is not multithreaded then I just give it one core and above normal and that is.
I'll try that, how about now?...(2 min. later).... nope didn't work. I only tried the EAX thingy since u didn't specefied the name of the process that u put in "above normal" mode. And is still popping when something moves in the screen+theres a constant sound

Back