• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dual core program

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rydis

I remeber reading somewhere that you need to download a dual core package somewhere to actually assign programs to different cores and such. I can't find this program anywhere. Anyone know where I can find it?

What operating system are you running?

If you are running Windows XP then multi-threading is a built in type of thing and doesn't require any software to work.
If you are using Win98, then you need to upgrade! :)

...There are certain applications that will use a multicore processor fully (like most adobe programs, and many others of course). What I mean by this is that Windows XP will use a multicore CPU by assigning different tasks/threads to whichever core it thinks it should. But some programs will independantly use multiple cores (they have to be programmed to do this) on their own. So programs that are not programed to use multiple processors will only use one of the cores, but say that program is using most of the power of a single core....then windows will assign the other threads to the other core(s) to balance things.

that make sense?

Ok, I thought there was a software pack (like service packs) that I needed.

Now if I change the affinity of the thread via the task manager, do I have to do this every time I run the program?

Last edited:
jivetrky said:
what would be the reason you are wanting to change the affinity?

Because at times I would like to be encoding video;s, running my tv tuner or something while waiting for people ingames and such.

yeah, winXP should be able to balance that by itself. Gaming and Video Encoding, that's some pretty extreme multitasking.

it seems to me that the easiest way to accomplish this (other than the fact that windows should do it ok by itself) is to have both open and then open the task manager (CTRL+ALT+DELETE) Under the processes tab you find the program and right click on it and goto "set affinity"

So there's really no need for any secondary software.

Well converting somethings takes well over 2 hours. Sometimes I will pull up musicmatch :)/) and play songs while playing to. And to always have to go to ask manager to set affinity every time I ran it would be tedious.

In a case like that, why wouldn't you leave it as it is by default? You want your Vid encode to be able to use both cores, don't you? that greatly increases the speed. And if you have musicmatch running, that would only need a single thread anyway and it wouldn't matter which one, as your vid encode woud be using both.

IMO it's unneccesary to set affinity for something like this.

And even if your vid encoder program is only single threaded and windows makes a weird mistake and sets it and musicmatch to the same thread, playing MP3's takes up so little CPU power that it shouldn't matter anyway.

Back