• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP - my first impression

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dynamasis

Registered
so i was walking through town the other day and popped into my local computer shop, where i asked the shopkeepers opinion of XP. The friendly chappy waffled at me with the usual blah-de blah (oh it is much faster and stabler than any previous version etc...) he began to give me a demonstration and it crashed twice, was slow as hell, and would not accept the drivers for a diamond graphics card that he had just put in! he he he! i wasent impressed at all, i will continue using linux on my home pc!

WinXP has been very stable for me and hasn't crashed once. However it doesn't load as fast as Win98 did. Win98 loaded in about 20 seconds after I tweaked it.

Anyways, if you're used to Linux I doubt you'll like XP. XP seems like it was designed specifically for stupid people, because it pops up a wizard for every little thing instead of letting you do it yourself. But if you play around with the settings you can disable a lot of the unnecessary features and it will run pretty fast and smooth.

I have Linux on my Pentium 1 but there's no way I'd install Linux on my good machine because then I won't be able to play all the games I have.

ITs just like juding on one review.. You can't judge one product due to one's opinion.. Espically a seller... The only reason they give you that because they want you to buy it..

Its best you try it yourself on your own system or something..

Win2K's not bad either, stable and is not full of unnecessary bloatware. From what I've seen, WinXP has digested too many OSes along the way, and failed to get rid of the excess waste. I will be sticking with Win2K.

Yodums said:
XP is a great OS damnit..

it's so great........i want to say this

XP is GREATEST OS ever made by MS

thank you..................can you see it without the light ?:p

I have to say, I am impressed with xp. Some people may gripe about instant messenger or the funky looks, but I for one like them. I will have 2 systems, one with xp and one with 2k. That way i can ave the best of both worlds.

Oh yeah, and office xp is schweet. In frontpage, you can switch between different pages using tabs instead of selecting from the window menu. I love that!:D

I have to add my thumbs up to the rest just up graded from win2k and I temporally only have 128MB of ram and it runs smooth and fast. You can get it to respond and look just like win2k but I actually like the new look. Everything is pretty much where it was in win2k so not much of a leaning curve to it.

win xp is poo as far as im concerned, iv just aquired a copy and i am NOT impressed! win 2k was not very good either (too many driver problems and software clashes). my favourite windows was 3.11 until nt4 came out! i run linux and 98 and nt4 server on my 2 machines, and that way, i can play all my games, run all my software, run the network attached to it and use it a a web server from time to time!

Failure is bundled with Microsoft - ROTFLMAO !!!!

We'll see this weekend. I got a copy of XP PRO. Gonna do a clean install.
--Gotta see it to believe it.--
:burn:

Back