• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Double Router?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krack3d

Registered
I'm on a home network through a router and I recently purchased a laptop. My question is can I put another router in my room and connect it to a line, even though that line connects to a router?

With that it would be:
Wall->Modem->Router->Router->Computer(s)

I know nothing about networking. >_<

Yes you could. But why? Did you use all the open sockets on your router? If so simply buy a switch. There is no reason I can think of that would require another router.

The router is all filled up, I need something that will let me use both computers simultaneously. I don't even know what a switch is. XP

Also, I want a wireless router for my room. The other router is wired.

Just buy a wireless router and take z0n3's advice with a switch. Also if you get wireless, you can connect more comps then with wired so just buy a wireless router and use both wired and wireless. That's how I have it running here.

What is this "switch" I keep hearing about? I cant really mess with the other router since its not mine. I'm in the family's house right now. I'm gonna take the second router with me back to college at the end of the summer so thats another practical reason for getting one.

A switch will break up the connection allowing you to split up the connection into more comps. It's like a bridge. Also they are cheaper then routers in most cases

You could just connect the second wireless router and disable the routing part of it. That will basically leave you with a wired switch and wireless access point. You just disable the DHCP feature and connect the two routers with one of the open LAN ports.

The cheaper, easier way would be buying a switch to connect exra PCs to the existing wired router. The simpler solution to get wireless would be to just get a wireless router and use it in place of wired. You could always just put the wired back in place when you leave with the wireless.

That is an option as well, but I know that at Georgia Tech and other schools around here the students aren't suposed to have wireless setups. Atleast that is what all of the college kids at my church say. But you can check with the school and see if they allow wireless setups and do it the way ErikD mentioned.

Yeah, my family wouldn't buy wireless cards for the desktops so using just wireless is basically out. My college definately allows wireless, so that's good. I think I'll be alright with just simply setting up the second router though. Thanks guys. ^_^

you could either buy a switch, or what I'm doing is using my wireless router as a plain access point, just run a cable from one of the switchports on your old router into one on the wireless router (not into the wan port or you will get double nat which is for the most part a bad thing) and disable dhcp on it.

z0n3 said:
Yes you could. But why? Did you use all the open sockets on your router? If so simply buy a switch. There is no reason I can think of that would require another router.
I can:. A LAN of LANs.

So I set up the router as a wireless access point and its workin great, doesn't seem to have any problems. Thanks for the help guys. ^_^

Back