• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

the money

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

uzibear

how much do you spend a year on your PC gaming hobby?

what if you were a console gamer? how much would you spend per year?

Years previous: $50 a year (like one pc game or so, borrowed rest from friends)

This year: $700 (damn xbox360 and its addictiveness!)

In the past 2 years I've bought 2 games for the PC and no hardware, so the Movies was $60 and RCT3 was $30 so that woul dbe 90/2=$45.

Then lets see, I bought a 360 this year $399, Fight Night Rd3 $60, Madden 2k6 $60, Oblivion $60 and no systems prior to the 360 since I got a GC when the price dropped to $79 4 years ago plus about $400 worth of bargain priced games for PS2, Xbox and GC so that'd be a total of $580 over for years and $580/4=$145

$145 console
$45 Pc
$190 a year total (not counting blockbuster rentals)

Seems to be a hobby I can afford. However, if I were to buy PC games more often then I'd be investing a LOT more in hardware.

its rare that a game wins my heart enough to be bought brand new...for my gamecube I nearly always buy preowned...i got the console and accessories 2nd hand from ebay anyways... as for PC gaming, I guess maybe £100 a year - i just bought hl2:ep1, and before that fear and quake4 (tho I sold both on after finishing them)...so i guess i recoup most of what I spend :D

Man... the year is only halfway through... I need to cut back.

PS3 and Wii... Dammit...

I'm buying PS3 mainly cause of the Blu-Ray and games look awesome. I'm sketchy about the Wii and the controller, so I'll need to try it first before I buy it.

When you account all the stuff that you are getting with PS3 it's actually dirt cheap cause standard Blu-Ray player will easily cost you over $1000.

RedDragonXXX said:
I'm buying PS3 mainly cause of the Blu-Ray and games look awesome. I'm sketchy about the Wii and the controller, so I'll need to try it first before I buy it.

When you account all the stuff that you are getting with PS3 it's actually dirt cheap cause standard Blu-Ray player will easily cost you over $1000.

^^^^Brainwashed by Sony^^^^^ LOL!

there have been different reports, but it's certainly possible (likely) sony will be in debt from this for a long time. MS has to date made NO money on the xbox. they have only lossed. sony spent a huge bundle developing the cell and bluray. they're hanging a lot of they're future on this stuff. it's not just a matter of the actually cost of hardware and manufacture. the R&D for cell was very expensive.

my biggest thing on gaming/money: staying a bit behind the cutting edge is what it's all about. unless you play all the time it's not so difficult to be ready for a new game after they've been out for awhile. same with hardware, both consoles and pc parts (for sure). also, you tend to come along after a few patches have hit the scene, some problems hopefully worked out. it's sexy to be a cutting-edge guinea pig, but i love letting others do the guinea-ing for me :) and pocketing the difference.

hmmm i usually spend alot as well,

recent games i bought are,

the godfather, tomb raider legend, hl2 ep1, sin ep1, bf2 expansion

yea about 170 right there lol

Its alot when you start adding it up!
Couple hundred at least for games.
Maybe $600 for upgrades gpu an optical drive, HD, fans, Mem,ect
Due for a MB,cpu and gpu before the end of the year.

FudgeNuggets said:
^^^^Brainwashed by Sony^^^^^ LOL!

I'm not brainwashed, I just like high quality products. If Nintendo does the same thing you'll see my avatar ****ing on Sony or M$ ;)

I used to hate PS2 because Xbox just blew them out of the water and was a better console in every aspect. This time PS3 is looking like the best console and people can talk about the price point all they want, you get what you pay for!

Luftwaffle said:
I wonder if they really cost that much to make or if Sony is just spinning it up.

Well you tell me, account for all the stuff that PS3 has like;

Blu-Ray Drive alone, recently announced by Philips cost 849 euros which is more then PS3 itself.

60GB Hard Drive

State of the art cell processor

RSX

Support for Web Browsing

Multi HDMI inputs

1080p resolution support...

If anything this console is underpriced and I don't mind paying $600 for such a high quality product.

Very little now. Maybe under £100/year (<$200). Used to spend about 2-3 times that.

IS it even worth trying to think of how much money I have dropped on my PC....

I'm gonna just go with....NO!!!

PC gaming = expensive hobby but probably the best and safest one out there.
Console Gaming = ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Back