• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to repair a CD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GV2NIX

I just found a data CD that I made a while ago. I tried to copy the files to my HD, but I noticed that the CD has about 2 deep scratches on the bottom. The data layer is undamaged, the scratches didn't go that deep, but a lot of the data is still unreadable because of the scratches.

I was thinking about getting one of those CD repair tools that basically grinds off thin layers of the CD until the scratches are gone, but I thought I'd run this by the forum in case there are any better ideas. Should I lap my CD? Hahaha! Any suggestions would be great. Thanks! :)

I heard toothpaste works to take out small scraches.

A good rule of thumb is if you can run the top of your nail over the scraches and feel them, there probally not going to come out.

One other idea, Ive never tried this, just think in logic that it would work. I use Brasso to remove the scraches out of my plastic part of my ipod. It works brillant. Mabie it would work in CDs?

The scratches are pretty deep, so I doubt toothpaste will work. So, that's why I was thinking of using the Skip Doctor because it basically grinds off the plastic until the scratches are gone.

Brasso huh? Interesting... I see why it would work on small scratches, but not for deep ones. I guess I could give it a try though. Thanks for the suggestion!

Has anyone here ever used the Skip Doctor? Any idea how well it actually works?

If the scratches are as deep as I think, then Skip DR. won't do it. I have one and it takes out medium sized scrathes; maybe with a ton of passes it might work, but my assumption is that it won't.

You can try using Brasso and/or a Skip Dr. then follow it up with some Turtle Wax.
The wax tends to fill in the scratches so they might be easier for the laser to focus through them.
If you use Brasso (or any polishing agent) make sure you rub out in a straight line from the centerhole of the disc to the outer edge. Polishing in circles can do more harm than good by scattering the beam :)

ManOman, thanks for the advice!

striker85, the scratches aren't super super deep. One of them is maybe 1/10 of the way through the thickness of the plastic, and some of the other scratches aren't actually that deep, but they're pretty wide--sort of like if the disk were scratched with braided copper wire as opposed to a knife. But, all of the scratches can be felt when running over them with a fingernail.

I think I'll try some passes with the Skip Dr. Maybe it'll take a lot of passes, but that doesn't really matter right? All I need to do is get this disk working well enough so that I can extract the data then chuck the CD.

I'll try the Skip Dr. first, then follow up with some wax or something. My Plextor has been really good at reading through some pretty fouled surfaces in the past. Hopefully that'll be enough to stop the laser from freaking out. :)

Skip Dr will fix them all. if you can afford the electric version, get it. just make sure you keep the disc wet at all times and rinse if off after every pass. I wouldn't be surprised if it needed 5+ passes. But it will work. ;)

GV2NIX said:
What's the benefit of the electric version over the manual crank version? More consistent movement for a better finish?

more like your arm won't fall off. :p its exactly 100 revolutions on the crank per 1 on the disc.

Back