• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I install XP with any disc as long as I use a cd key that hasn't been used?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

veryhumid

I may have mixed up my two copies of windows xp. One is SP1, one is SP2. However I know which key has been used and which hasn't. Can I install off the sp2 disc and use the remaining key, even if it didn't originally go with the sp2 disc?

thanks!

The keys won't work with the wrong discs. SP2 and SP1 have a different type of key, and if you pick the wrong one then the install will stop you saying invalid key. You can then just enter your other key (hopefully the one that hasn't been used).

This is before the activation part, and would require that you just stop the install and start from scratch. Not that bad as it is right after the first reboot that it would happen anyway.

Nope, the CD key is matched to the type of disk it was shipped with. SO a CD with SP1 retail will work with any SP1 retail key, but never an SP2 key.

When you enter the CD as a part of the installation it will let you know if it is the correct key or not.

BUZZZZ! WRONG!

Any XP key will work with any cd IF they're the same type (OEM/retail/VLK) no matter the updates, so go with the sp2 one

haha, okay I like that response even more. Save me from downloading so many updates. And yup, they are both retail.

Can't install a SP2 CD with a SP1 key or vice-versa. Everyone i've talked to that has tried, has failed.

Yeah, I have tried it too and it never worked for me. I have an OEM XP SP2 CD, and a laptop with an OEM COA. Couldn't install no matter what.

It always worked for me, and I installed 100+ XP comps

The only keys that don't work with SP2 are the blacklisted ones...

Back