• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oblivion saved game recovery help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackpaladin

Hey everyone... first off, I'm not sure if this is the right forum to put it in so if it's not, mods please just move it or let me know so I can post it in the proper forum. Ok here goes. About a month ago, my computer finally died on me (motherboard got fried and had to upgrade new mobo, vid card, cpu, and psu), and I finally got my new system installed and set up a little over a week ago. Here's the problem now. I run windows so my files are private because other people go on my guest account and id rather them not messing with my stuff. Also, my hard drive is set up into three partitions (my old windows drive at least.. I have windows installed on a newer 40 gigger atm, but still have the old drive set up in my computer because the other partitions hold all my media and stuff), and as some of you may know, the oblivion saved game files are stored in documents and settings, so I am more or less locked out of my saved games. I can't boot up the old windows install as it blue screens on me midway through the boot up process so I need to get my file back from the new windows install. Anyone know how to get into that folder? I dont wanna start all over again =(

( I posted this in the microsoft os forum as well since its mainly a problem of getting around the file set as private issue, but feel it should be in here now instead )

blackpaladin said:
Hey everyone... first off, I'm not sure if this is the right forum to put it in so if it's not, mods please just move it or let me know so I can post it in the proper forum. Ok here goes. About a month ago, my computer finally died on me (motherboard got fried and had to upgrade new mobo, vid card, cpu, and psu), and I finally got my new system installed and set up a little over a week ago. Here's the problem now. I run windows so my files are private because other people go on my guest account and id rather them not messing with my stuff. Also, my hard drive is set up into three partitions (my old windows drive at least.. I have windows installed on a newer 40 gigger atm, but still have the old drive set up in my computer because the other partitions hold all my media and stuff), and as some of you may know, the oblivion saved game files are stored in documents and settings, so I am more or less locked out of my saved games. I can't boot up the old windows install as it blue screens on me midway through the boot up process so I need to get my file back from the new windows install. Anyone know how to get into that folder? I dont wanna start all over again =(

( I posted this in the microsoft os forum as well since its mainly a problem of getting around the file set as private issue, but feel it should be in here now instead )
u have it set as slave drive? the one with save file on it, i know when u set a drive as slave u can access all the files on it

If it is a slave you should be able to view the files.

If not then I suggest using a linux live CD, such as Knoppix or Mepis. It will allow you to be able to see all the data on all your hard drives, and you can cross copy the data.

It should be set as slave drive. When I try to get into the file it tells me access is denied... i can recheck that in a bit (in the middle of a WoW raid atm haha), but I'm next to positive I have it set as a slave.

Ok, went into bios and checked to make sure it is slave and it is. Also, I really dont want to have to download a 700mb file (which knoppix is) just to get at the file. Any other suggestions? If I have to dl it then I will, but theres gotta be an easier way =x

if the old drive is still bootable, then boot it and copy your stuff to the new drive, I've done that myself a few times.

Back