• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying a new AMD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gsxr750

Hi all.
hummm this is my first post. so be easy on me.
I been using my Duron 650 for years now and thinking about getting a new one. Right now kind of broke so planing to spend about $150 for the processor. I'm thinking about Athlon 1.33 to XP1700 on pricewatch.com. which one should I get consider all the benchmark that have been done on them + price.

Thank in advance.:cool:

Welcome to the forums.

There are a couple different ways that you could go. If I was looking to upgrade from a 650 I would probably get a 1 gig Tbird, if you plan to overclock it. Many folks have the 1gig tbirds running at 1.4 gigs or more. It can be had for $78 over at newegg. Now if you don't plan to overclock I would probably go with the xp1600 that will run you about 128 at newegg.

Make sure that before you buy for any online retailer that you check them out at www.resellerratings.com. I wont buy from any retailer with less than a six. This was learned a through painful personal experience.

Another big consideration is, will the mobo you use support the XP's or not. Kinda get ya upset to spend the $'s for your XP proc only to find out that ya now have to get a new mobo too.

LutaWicasa said:
Another big consideration is, will the mobo you use support the XP's or not. Kinda get ya upset to spend the $'s for your XP proc only to find out that ya now have to get a new mobo too.

Great point LutaWicasa I didn't even stop and think about it. I went to the FIC website and they have not released a new bios that says it will support the xp. So I would stick with the Tbird.

Thank you for responds.

I was planing about building a new PC. and going to OC my duron 650 more. From information I gather on tomshardware.com and OC.com I have a good and clear idea. Also OC.com does show how to over clock my processor and MB.

Back