• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hows this for a fast PC...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

David

Forums Super Moderator
Ok heres the specs:

P5/120
16MB of RAM (4 x 4 Meg SIMMS)
1.2GB HDD
ISA modem (33.6?)
2MB S3 Virge graphics
o/b sound (YAMAHA?)
48x ATAPI CD
broken FDD

I'm half way through putting linux on it (SuSE 7) and I'm going to try and get the longest uptime on it (say 3 Months?) possible. It used to have windoze 95 but that crashed every 10 mins.

Anyone want to try and beat it?
It will start about 9pm this monday.

Any ideas for any other uses for it. Its in a school library, we have net access but I need an ISA NIC first.

You're only going for 3 months uptime? As long as hardware doesn't fail and you don't screw things up with your newbieness to linux it'll run for at least a year without a reboot

I have a server that in the 5 years I've had it, only had to reboot 4 times, once for a hard drive failure, once to upgade the hardware (was a 486/66, now a p/200), once to upgrade to a newer version of Linux, and once because of a power outage. Not once did we crash because of software failure.

I'll take you on with my internet router.

Or my web server.

Both of them have been up for a while now, and shouldn't be going down unless there's a power outtage.

My desktop machine has been up for almost 11 days now, but I'm going to have to turn it off this friday so I can take it to a lan party. :(

Oh yea, my internet router is a dual ppro 200 with 512k of cache, 128mb of ram, a small scsi boot drive, and a big ide storage drive.

It sits there and routes for me all day, along with doing a few other things.

I think the hardware is pretty solid. On hot summer days, when the room its in was really hot, the entire case was hotter than most heatsinks, yet it was rock solid.

My web server is a P2/400 with 384mb ram, a 6.4gb ide drive, and a VIA-based motherboard.

It runs apache with php, mysql, wolfenstein, counterstrike, and quake3.

One guy keeps telling me I'm running way too much on it, but I think he's used to the MCSE way of getting a ton of individual servers.

My old webserver was up for almost 13 months without a reboot and that was when I was trying to get an isp connection problem straightened out. but I don't want to tell you what my os was...I just saw where this thread is!

13 Months? Bah! that'd be impossible here since there would be some kind of thing like you hit the power with your foot or something ..

PolyPill said:
You're only going for 3 months uptime? As long as hardware doesn't fail and you don't screw things up with your newbieness to linux it'll run for at least a year without a reboot

I have a server that in the 5 years I've had it, only had to reboot 4 times, once for a hard drive failure, once to upgade the hardware (was a 486/66, now a p/200), once to upgrade to a newer version of Linux, and once because of a power outage. Not once did we crash because of software failure.

3 months to start with, until the librarian gets annoyed with it being on all the time, or until there is a power cut (1 or 2 times a year?)

***UPDATE***

Installed TurboLinux 6 on iut instead. Its VERY slow. I might just give up on the GUI. I have bought a PCI NIC (£20!!!) and I should get it on the net soon. I think I'll try a nice minimalist WM sometime.

Install Slackware and use FVWM2. Slackware is very efficient, and runs very quickly on slower computers. I had it running on my pentium 100 just fine.

I dont get very good uptime here cause I am usually running on the bleeding edge of the kernel, so i need to reboot every few days to boot the next kernel, but if i just used it without rebooting, i could probably get several months out of it. I have another puter running slack, but its not on the net right now. Im setting up a Pentium 83MHz as a router and DNS cacheing server, so I should have all 8 of my puters online soon.

I upgraded the PC to a 180 Winchip w/ 48Meg RAM. Unfortunately I had to put win 98se on it :-( because the school isn't allowed linux pcs on the network

Back