• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KVM Switch and Asrock Dual Sata II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CreePinG_DeatH

Since I have been home for summer, I have had my computer sitting next to my parent's home rig and operating with a KVM switch. THe Keyboard and the Mouse are USB, but I found one ps2/USB adapter for the keyboard. Thus I keep switching the USB mouse from the USB ports between the computers.

Whenever my computer is doing something - scanning for viruses, running WoW, etc - and I plug my mouse from the parent's rig into mine, the ASrock reboots. Is this normal? I assume there is a sudden voltage drop, but shouldn't this safely fall under the limits?

No it shouldn't.. Which KVM are you using? I have this problem with my ABIT IC7-G only..
If I plug my KB in during any operation either it wont work or it reboots...I'm looking for a good KVM to solve this...

I am using Trendnet's TK-205 KVM. If this isn't the fault of the motherboard, perhaps the reboots are due to a custom WIndowsXP installation? I used nLite/msfn.org to create a custom boot CD and may have removed more things than I should have. Next time I will install the stuff that I may need and then just ghost the drive.

Have you done something similar on the machines which you experienced these problems?

I've used nLlite also and created a custom installation as well.
Let me dig around on this...

CreePinG_DeatH said:
The plot thickens.... Dun dun DUNNNNNNNN! I'll await anything you find.

I talked about this today with one of my IT guys and he said its more than likely a issue with sudden voltage change...But it should not happen..
Strange however that we had the same issue. I'll do some more searching tonight over at experts exchange.
I did decide to get THIS

Jeez...why don't you just get another PS2/USB adapter? They only cost a couple of bucks, and are a real easy fix.

Thought about that but I need a one switch solution...
Unless I'm missing something???
Maybe I'm not thinking clearly about this..

Last edited:
stool said:
Jeez...why don't you just get another PS2/USB adapter? They only cost a couple of bucks, and are a real easy fix.

I will purchase one; however, I didn't know if anyone else was having this problem - and if they were, what was the cause of all of this? There have been random restarts reported with the ASrock boards, so I wanted to see where my situation tied in to everything.

I don't have a lot of time under my belt with the ASrock to judge it but...I'm still digging as it happens on my abit. I was reading a thread about USB 2.0 issues on certain MBs..

That could be. I am using on of those front 4-USB port panels which are connected to one USB port in the back of the computer. Everytime I plug something in to the front panel, all 4 front slots check to see if something has been attached - not just the one slot I am using.

Also, the reboots seem to happen more often when I am switching between computers and plug in the mouse simultaneously. If I wait for the KVM to switch between the rigs completely, then I am usually ok.

Back