• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will a new heatsinc really help me? PLEASE READ

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gabe3

Well I have a no name brand heatsinc, its called a pc cooler copper fin heatsinc. its something like this one

http://www.a1-electronics.net/Heatsinks/2005/4th/PrimeCooler_HC5+CU_June.shtml

Anyway, I use to have a athlon 64 3000+ venice that ran at 30c idle and about 45-50c load(dont know exact load temp) with 1.55v

Now I have a dual core opty 165 thats at 2.91ghz with 1.5v and it runs 38c idle and 60c load!!!:cry:

and my overclock is not fully stable because of the 60c temp. I heard with this stepping "CCBBE 0610DPMW" even with more vcore it wont get the cpu stable if the temps are high, it will infact cause less stability with more voltage if your cooling isent good enough so that seems to be my issue.

The big question is will a new heatsinc, (iam thinking the thermaltake big typhoon) will that really help enough because my room is warm because iam in south florida, and I have a router, modem, voip, and a computer thats a heater, my room is normally I think 80F and thats pritty warm, I think new air cooling would just blow that air onto my cpu and not cool it very well. I kinda think watercooling is the only thing that can help because of my warm room. But I dont really want to spend $200 for water. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks..

$200 for water? That's a fairly cheap setup. I think mine ran me $350, and most of my stuff was second hand.

A new heatsink will do you well. Those Vantec knock offs are horrible, and the Big Typhoon is wonderful. You will get nicer temps. Your idle temps are lower than mine, so it isn't too bad for you.

yea i think i might get the big typhoon, iam just a little worried about it not working very well because of a hot room

i think air will be fine. my rooms jumped up to 80F a few times so far this summer and temps aren't affected too much. your probably looking at a 5 degree jump in temps w/ hot weather. i personally have an xp 120 and when it's hot i idle around 33C and max at 46C. When it's cold at night it's 5C below those temps. If you get a bigtyphon, xp120, or ninja you won't go over 50C and you'll be fine. just make sure you got some airflow through your case.

Id say get an AC freezer pro 64. Does a great job at cooling and is very quiet. Also make sure you have good airflow through the case.

TDubbs05 said:
i think air will be fine. my rooms jumped up to 80F a few times so far this summer and temps aren't affected too much. your probably looking at a 5 degree jump in temps w/ hot weather. i personally have an xp 120 and when it's hot i idle around 33C and max at 46C. When it's cold at night it's 5C below those temps. If you get a bigtyphon, xp120, or ninja you won't go over 50C and you'll be fine. just make sure you got some airflow through your case.
so get one of those three

the site i want to buy from has 2 of the 3 you mentioned

the ninja---http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=154&products_id=4157

and the TT BT--- http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=154&products_id=2946

the ninja cost $38 bucks, the bit typhoon costs $45. Should I get the ninja because its cheaper?

Last edited:
You can't go wrong with either. The BT will give a bit better temps... like 2-3*C maybe. I would prefer the Ninja though if it were me, because the fins are spaced out more, which means less noise.

Ninja is a great cooler. Now are you absolutely sure you oc fails because of 60 deg C? It seems a tad hot but not enough to make it fail.

thefranklin said:
Ninja is a great cooler. Now are you absolutely sure you oc fails because of 60 deg C? It seems a tad hot but not enough to make it fail.
well it gets more stable when i lower the vcore. but if i lower it more and more it needs more voltage. but i cant give it more voltage because of the temps. so yes I think cooling is my problem. today while priming it got to 65c:shrug:

You can build a water cooling system for less than $200.

Via Aqua 1800: $18 (Drsfosterandsmith.com)
Swiftech Apogee: $50 (SVC)
Black ice Pro: ~$28 (Danger Den)
10ft tubing: ~$10 (Mcmaster.com)
Various fittings [T-Line, 1/8" NPT 1/2" barbs for the pump, hose clamps, etc]: ~$15

Total: ~$120

That can be made even cheaper if you go for a heatercore. I got mine off ebay for $11. If you want a little more convenience, you can also get a 12v pump or a relay for the 120. the options are pretty much endless but that gives you a nice setup.

my room is about 80F average and im powered about like you. mine never goes over 45 load..and i do load mine. you need a sink like your getting and about 4+ 120mm case fans. 3 in and 1 out or even better, 4 in 2 out....trust me that will do the trick :)

yes

I'd just get a freezer 64 pro, the a64's run so cool, you really don't need water. I'm planning on watercooling my 7600GT, and leaving the freezer 64 pro on the cpu

HOLY CRAP

that was hard to mount. my fingers are all cut up from the thing, it took me well over and hour. iam about iam about 4c-5c lower then i was before idle, and about 9c lower then before load. so now my temps are 34c idle, 52c in dual priming. before i was 38c idle, 62c load.

lol, this thing is touching my 80mm window case fan, and i had to clear my hard drive wires out of the way to fit the 120mm fan on the side of the heatsink

Cool results. I like PC Cooler's heatsinks but they aren't exactly a match for a heatsink like the Ninja. Hold onto it for a second rig or something. My PC Cooler sink is still my backup heatsink.

Back